1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2021 Running NASCAR/IMSA/other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 30, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because NASCAR owns IMSA. And the Rolex 24 started today, and the Cup champion is in the race. (somewhere)

And also because Magnus Racing — the outfit with the best-tuned sense of humor in all of motorsports — entered this Acura NSX in the GT Daytona class, and it deserves to be seen.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

Oh, and the race started when Bruno Spengler in the RLL Beemer went full iRacing …

Jimmie Johnson’s 48 team is P1 overall. Austin Dillon is in the seat of the 51 right now in LMP2 and is sixth overall. It’s on NBCSN until 3 a.m. EST.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And Spengler blamed the guy he rear-ended, which was kind of amazing.

maumann likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Is there even a reason for 24-hour racing in 2021?
    The point was for manufacturers to showcase how much better their cars were than their competitors.
    There isn't even a point in 500-mile NASCAR races these days because the cars don't break.

maumann likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

Yes, and it’s the same reason for all kinds of racing: Because it’s fun and because they can.

UPChip, Batman, maumann and 1 other person like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Congrats to Taylor, Albuquerque, Spiderman and Rossi. I know the full-course cautions bunch the fields more than in the past, but there was a pretty damn good four-car battle all night for the prototypes, separatated by just car lengths at times.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm getting back into the sport a little more, and I find myself visiting NASCAR.com every day or two. And it's the dregs. I understand it's the offseason, but I don't need to see endless clickbait galleries of Kyle Larson's paint schemes or who's who in the Rolex. I seem to remember more dynamic content there, but it's been 20 years since I regularly checked it out. And Jayski nowadays seems to be all press releases, little aggregating.

(Note: Not trying to gain favor with anyone on this board with this post.)

8. 2muchcoffeeman

IMSA and NBC had to be really happy the Ganassi DPi had a tire blow up to bunch the field together with 2 hours to go. I wonder how the race would’ve ended if the 01 hadn’t had the second flat tire with 7 minutes left in the race. Maybe the engineers set the rear camber too aggressively.

That said, I remember when a close 24 Hours of Daytona meant the winner had a 4.7-lap lead rather than a 4.7-second lead at the finish and I am annually amazed at these teams treating the race like a sprint race for 24 hours.

Now I’m trying to remember who’s won overall three years in a row other than Wayne Taylor Racing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    maumann and Driftwood like this.
  9. Driftwood

I miss the days of Jayski before it was bought out. I honestly can't remember the name of the site, but there was a good one with a lot of the old NASCAR beat writers when many of them were let go 10-12 years ago.

maumann likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

And because apparently every thread must have a COVID-19 article:

Driftwood likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, it had Larry Woody and Mike Mulhern and some others.

I wonder if we’ll see another Jeff Gluck. I remember when he was posting here and working in Rocky Mount and it was clear what he wanted to do. I admire how he’s hung on for so long covering a beat that’s clearly diminished. Does any news outlet cover the majority of the races anymore?

Liut and maumann like this.
  12. Driftwood

Maybe Charlotte and AP.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted