1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2015 British Open

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

20 years ago, an American named John Daly shot 65 in the first round of The Open at Saint Andrews, and went on to win.
    10 years ago, an American named Tiger Woods shot 65 in the first round of The Open at Saint Andrews, and went on to win.
    Today, an American named Dustin Johnson shot 65 in the first round of The Open at Saint Andrews...........

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Combined scores of the 9 amateurs in the field thus far.....-17

3. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

I would root for Dustin to win; great redemption after Chambers Bay; Rory shot 81 in 4th to lose at Masters then won US Open at Congressional

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Looks like late/early is definitely going to be the worst of the draw.
    Rain/gusts over 30 tomorrow.
    Anyone else up for a cut of 146-147?

5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

When will Phil stop the disgusting and rude habit of running his right hand through his sweaty, greasy hair then shaking hands with his playing partners and their caddies? He's been doing it for years and I can't believe someone hasn't called him out.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good day for our boys -- six Americans within two shots of the first-round lead.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dustin Johnson seems like a guy who's always going to be at the top of the leaderboard, but never going to be raising a major trophy Sunday night.

Nice job by Goosen today.

Spieth seems to be sitting nicely to being able win to this and make it a Spieth/Serena slamfest in August and September. Who in front of him seems like a clear challenge? Maybe Day without the vertigo issues, maybe Zach Johnson. Otherwise, he seems to be the clear player to beat.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Let's let the weather come in and wreak havoc on Friday before all this Grand Slam talk. Spieth goes out late Friday, so an 81 could happen. That's the Open, you never know. It's one day. Spieth did what he had to do. But sitting 24 hours as the clouds and wind roll in is not a good sign.

9. At this point I ZERO confidence in DJ to close it out. Zero.
    Would love to see Day bag the Open. But I dunno.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Peter Dawson says the Old Course won't ever become obsolete to the modern-day player, but it's there already. There's, what, three or four par 4s that are virtually drivable and two 5s reachable with a mid-iron? I didn't get up at 4 a.m. to watch the Bob Hope Desert Classic.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The R&A is very kind to golfers who are long and straight off the tee. If DJ avoids the bunkers, he has a shot.

12. I agree with Dawson. I know a lot of folks argue those courses are toothless without weather, but I think equipment and modern athletes has much more to do with it. So, so many bunkers and once formidable hazards are out of play and, as noted you have par 4s reachable in one shot and a couple of par 5s reachable in two.
    The history of St. Andrews is great, but its severely outdated.

So long as he doesn't have to make putt on the 72nd hole for the win. ;)
    He has the talent, no doubt. I question is mental fortitude at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted