1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2015 British Open

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Almost all the top golfers have their outfits for majors scripted. It's so they can have the stuff in stores so people are more likely to buy it when they shoot 65.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm on the Spieth bandwagon -- shocking, I know. Loved how he went to the Deere and won it after an opening 71.

If Tiger's going to win another major, it's going to be here. I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid, though.

Would be incredible to have a shot at calendar-year grand slams in golf and tennis the same year we have a horse racing Triple Crown winner.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

At 21 I'm not sure jet lag will be a huge issue for him. He'll have four days to adjust. Dealing with the pressure of winning the last two and going for No. 3 will the big issue for him.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As much money as Puma, Nike, etc, etc are giving these guys, you're damn skippy they're going to wear exactly what they tell them to wear.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think Spieth has the game, but I'm not taking him because there's no way the sports gods give us a Triple Crown horse, Grand Slam women's tennis champ and a golf grand slam in the same year.
    I'm taking Patrick Reed. I think the Euro fans are gonna hate him the way US hated Montgomerie, but Reed thrives off of that.
    My DraftKings Millionaire Maker lineup is Reed, Fowler, Koepka (big hitter, played well at US Open and Scottish), Branden Grace, Shane Lowry and JB Holmes.
    Godspeed gents. Won't get to watch much (downside to working at a golf course), but I'm excited nonetheless.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You can watch if you get up early. Spieth tees off at 4:55 a.m. ET.

7. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Heard some analysis and the biggest factor is going to be the weather and the conditions that the golfers draw. Supposedly its mild on Thurs., then some substantial rain overnight and continuing into Friday, then monsoon on Sat. for everyone, and clearing into mild, gentle conditions on Sunday.

Like 2002 at Muirfield when Tiger's attempt at the Slam got doused by the monsoon, this year's winner may be the one who gets the best weather draw.\

I'm rooting for Spieth (and history) but I'm thinking some lucky fellow avoids the heaviest precipitation; perhaps a Stenson, or some other solid Euro, Rose perhaps? McGinley? Oosthaizen won at St. Andrews lasts year so he's got some definite good vibes there.

Where's Rocca now? A sentimental entry eh R&A?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spieth looking strong early. Five under after 7. Yikes.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Somebody will card a 64 today. It won't be Tiger.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

81 players on the golf course and Tiger is beating one of them. Utterly embarrassing . . . and I'm lovin' every minute of it.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

World Cup, too.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love Tiger, but fuck talking about him right now. Spieth was 5 under through 7 when I was watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted