1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2014 SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you use the word correctly, it's not a throwaway. Bumgarner's influence is pretty much limited to the field.

If on-the-field accomplishments are the only criteria, that's fine.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

OK. So, the answer to my question of "Why?" was "because." Thanks for contributing.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Somebody probably told you once upon a time that there's no such thing as a dumb question. That person was incorrect.

Anyway, Boom is onto something -- there wasn't any transcendent figure or moment this year. Bumgarner isn't a great choice looking at the history of the award, but he isn't a bad choice either given the offerings. Kind of a commentary on the whole season -- there isn't much from sports in 2014 that would go in the time capsule to be opened in 2100.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The sports world is dying for transcendent figures... Hell, now UCLA is retiring the number 42 for ALL sports, for a guy who played there 70 years ago. That said, neither Sam nor Silver are transcendent.

Sam will be a popcorn fart in the wind in five years, a "Who is he? Ohhhh... that guy" type of guy.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're smarter than this.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Blah. Can't think of anyone better, maybe Duncan for lifetime achievement, but feels like the Wade choice.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nice choice. He has one of the lowest postseason ERAs ever, won 3 games in a WS (ok, technically I guess 2 wins a save, I think, but he 'won' game 7 for the Giants) like a throwback to the 60s. I like seeing the award given to people for on the field of play accomplishments, not off.

Waiting for Manky to weigh in here....

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The vote was probably already in but certainly Kenny Britt would have warranted consideration
    if you were looking for a transcendent figure

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd have gone Howard and/or the entire USMNT.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They won one game in the World Cup. One.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Granted, I'm biased as a Giants fan, but excellent choice.

In recent years, what athletes have done off the field has been factored in (see also: 1987 selections and Drew Brees), but what Bumgarner did in the postseason transcends all that.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought that was well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted