1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2014 SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Fantastic choice.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bumgarner had a run for the ages.

To piggyback off the poster who mentioned the Spurs, one choice could have been Pop in more of an ode to the compilation of titles, capped with the most impressive one. We always talk about how unsexy the Spurs are -- most unsexy 5-time champ ever? -- and this could have been one way to appreciate his dynamic as a sportsman.

Had the Heat 3-peated I think we all know it would have been LeBron.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Zzzz. If Michael Sam had made the varsity, it would have been him.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it wasn't LeGarrette Blount.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was pretty certain it would be Mo'ne Davis.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

If only there were an athlete who was perhaps retiring this year, who might have gone out with a championship, who possibly holds every record in his sport in this country, and who came close to having a bit of a comeback from a shocking setback earlier in the year.

Too bad there wasn't anyone like that this year.

I mean, I can't think of anyone. Not from this country. And certainly not in a sport that received any fan or media attention whatsoever this year.

Best to just give it to the guy who, thanks to an amazing month after a nice but not spectacular regular season, led his team to its historic first title in two seasons.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Now, THAT would sell magazines!

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This is all very important, it seems.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Kenny Britt for his social activism

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Buh . . . But . . .

SI went with the easy mainstream choice, frankly. In an Olympic and World Cup year, and a year in which Tim Duncan got his fifth title (seven years after his fourth!), the dude who won World Series MVP (after an OK, not spectacular, regular season) gets Sportsman.

Recency ruled the day, and surface examinations of 2014 in traditionally popular sports led to the choice.

It is!

Tiger Woods ended up changing the fate of nations. And we all first heard about it in SI's Sportsman of the Year piece!

Sports are important, dude.

This all said, SI usually does go with the simple choice. Creativity on these types of things isn't really the norm, anywhere. Time did "You" in 2006, and we still make jokes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I would have chosen Jameis Wilson and used it to anchor a "this is everything that's wrong with college athletics" round-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted