1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2014 SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I must say it was fun being privy to some of the discussion. Interesting year. I think it is a solid choice

Past winners reveal your 2014 Sportsman of the Year.

http://www.si.com/mlb/video/2014/12/08/announcing-your-2014-sportsman-year-madison-bumgarner

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great choice.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Positive variating wins again!

5. Moderator1

Thank goodness he had such a great postseason. In my mind, we had a lot of really good choices but no real great one before that show he put on in postseason. You could make a good case for a number of people but he trumped them.

The presentation/reception is tomorrow and I was lucky enough to get an invite. Eager to see how all that works and I hope I don't drown getting there with the forecasted weather.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I very much doubt these things are within your control, but the drama of the video might be enhanced if the winner weren't in the URL.

7. Moderator1

SEO and all that.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very good choice. No one really stood elsewhere. Olympics were blah. Maybe Pop/the Big 3 of San Antonio. Russell Wilson? No quibbles with this choice.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figured it would be a low wattage winner when they added Magic Johnson as a "Legacy Award" winner. I guess congrats to SI to not just going with someone who would sell the most magazines or ads.

Funny thing, the Baumgarner cover will be the first Giants player on a national cover all year. Even when they won the Series it was a regional due to the college hoops preview.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Very solid choice, Moddy.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Seems a fairly clear choice since this year there was no "one guy" that really stood out on the other championship teams.

I kinda feel like the Spurs title was most deserving of special commemoration since it was the culmination of such an amazing 16 year run, but that was a more a team thing, there's no single guy that says SOY. And similar story with the Seahawks (Wilson, Sherman, Carroll ...which one?).

Only possible quibble with Bumgarner is the choice is based almost entirely on post-season, he probably wasn't even one of the five best regular season pitchers. But, hey, post season is what counts.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A good choice, but not McIlroy?

Draft saved Draft deleted