1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2009 MLB First-Year Players Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Nevermind...I got it.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09161/976265-63.stm

The Pirates basically admitting that they intentionally drafted players they knew weren't the best available for financial reasons.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

OoP --

You seem surprised by this.

Joe Simpson was raving the other night about the Pirates' player personnel folks.

4. outofplace

I'm not at all surprised that they did it. This has been the franchise's pattern since the early '90s. Every once in a while they make a lot of noise about spending more money, then they prove it with a relatively high-profile, big-money signing. Once upon a time it was Jason Kendall. Last year it was Pedro Alvarez. Then they go back to going the cheap route.

I am a little bit surprised that they are admitting it. I may not be a fan of the team any more, but as a baseball fan this pisses me off. Try or sell the fucking team already.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They have no reason to sell. They're making plenty of money running their
    business this way. Just like some of the fatter cats in the newspaper industry.

6. outofplace

Never said I expected it to happen. I just hate to see any MLB franchise run this way.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What's the answer? I was curious too.

8. Dirk Legume

Money. Dad said that they figured out what their value was for a full ride at UCLA, where he will go to school, and decided it would take at least top 20 money for him to sign. He said they still have some hope that someone comes up with the dough.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Dirk, Stassi just went in fourth round to Oakland ...

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well, say hello to UCLA then, Mr. Stassi.

11. Dirk Legume

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Both of the players I was wondering about went in the 8th and 9th round, respectively. Not a shocker for the first guy, but for the second, very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted