1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2009 MLB First-Year Players Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It begins tomorrow with the first three rounds.

I assume Strasburg goes first to the Fightin' Moddies. Who goes second? Is anyone a sure-fire lock in this year's draft?

Plus, if anyone is "in the know" about the MLB Draft or writes for any sites that projects the first couple rounds or so, could you PM me? Thanks.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Why PM the sites? Just post them here.

After all that is what the thread is for.

3. Rumpleforeskin

I am asking anyone who WRITES for those sites to PM me. I don't want to out anyone or myself, but I have a few questions about players I cover.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Chill dude. It's a lot more civil here the last month or so.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/mockdraftdatabase/mlb.html

Found this on google. Has the top five picks highlighted for a bunch of different sites.
    But it also has links for each site to check out the whole round projection.

5. Rumpleforeskin

I never saw a "Contact Us" on their page, or never looked close enough. Thanks for the advice!

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, Strasburg is pretty much a lock at No. 1. North Carolina 1B/OF Dustin Ackley is by far the best of an extremely shallow pool of college bats and should go second to Seattle.

After that, it's kind of sketchy. San Diego could go with Aaron Crow, who didn't sign with the Fightin' Moddies last year, or prep OF/toolbox Donovan Tate or Ackley if he somehow drops. I still have no clue what Pittsburgh will do at No. 4; Baltimore will probably take a high school pitcher with the fifth pick.

Decent MLB draft sites are tough to find. Here are a few user -- these folks know their stuff -- mocks:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/

http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/06/01/2009-amateur-draft-mock-7-rounds-1-3/

And then there is Keith Law's mock draft at ESPN (you'll need Insider to access it, though):

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2009/insider/news/story?id=4241301

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, one of the blogs has the Pirates taking Crow? Is the thinking he can't afford to not sign again?

8. mb

mb Active Member

I know it would suck for the fans, but I'd love to see the Moddies draft Strasburg and then play some world-class hardball with him.

"Well, you can sign with us this year for what we want to pay you, or we'll just draft your ass again next year when we have the No. 1 *and* No. 2 picks."

/that is the new rule, right?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think that would give Scott Boras exactly what he wants -- the opportunity to challenge the MLB draft in court.

Of course, it would be bad for Strasburg, but Boras doesn't give a shit. He is more than happy to fuck over one client if he can make more money in the long run.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

No love for Bryce Harper?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is the first time in about 9 years we didn't advance the MLB draft. We don't have anyone in our area we're expecting to get drafted — high school, juco or college.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the ruling in Maurice Clarett's case essentially be the precedent for collectively bargained elgibility?

Boras can sue, but if that is the precedent, he would not get an injunction

Draft saved Draft deleted