1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 20 Most Beautiful Bookstores in the World

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 1, 2012.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Janesville, Minn., has a Carnegie library. Was a 30-second walk from my house. Spent two hours a day in there during the summer. It's still a library too, thankfully.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is to me. :D

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The most delicious bookstore is the one in Cleveland that used to be a Twinkie factory that Harvey Pekar wrote about. The Cream filling is still in the pipes in the bookstore.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And there are over 100 Carnegie Libraries in Canada-- most of them in Ontario.

Mimico (before it got swallowed up by Etobicoke) had a Carnegie which they tore down for a 1967 Centennial Project and built this:

[​IMG]

I think there are a lot of Carnegie libraries in Double J's stomping grounds

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was in the American Book Center in Amsterdam last summer. And yes, it's pretty damn cool.

[​IMG]

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love Tattered Cover and the original Elliott Bay. Could have spent all day in both of those places last time I was in Denver and Seattle.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I just looked it up and I've been to the sites of 10 Carnegie Libraries in SoCal -- only two of which are still Carnegie Libraries, sadly. Half of the other sites saw their Carnegies torn down and new libraries (in that bland 1960s utilitarian style similar to JR's picture above) built in their place. What a shame.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Has Elliott Bay moved since the Seattle outing - or was that the "new" location? I loved the location, the store, everything about it.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

It's on Capitol Hill now. Shitty location and a shitty building.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

My most beautiful bookstore:

[​IMG]

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mine: Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Lexington.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's the cafe and the pond out back.

[​IMG]
    Round part on the left is the back of the bookstore.

Draft saved Draft deleted