1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 20 Most Beautiful Bookstores in the World

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 1, 2012.

1. Very Cool

http://flavorwire.com/254434/the-20-most-beautiful-bookstores-in-the-world?all=1

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Christ, do I miss the original Rizzoli bookstore in NYC.

3. You can call me Chris

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't access the link at work, but here's hoping the Tattered Cover in Denver is represented.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's only one US bookstore, and I know nothing of the Tattered Cover, but unless it's an outdoor bookstore with great views, probably not topping the one that's on the list.

6. Bart’s Books, Ojai, California
    The Last Bookstore, Los Angeles, CA

Those are the only 2 US bookstores on the list

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, if they're talking about places with views and whatnot, it wouldn't make the list. It's just one of those cool, old school bookstores that you can go into and blink and four hours have passed.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right, love those. But is it beautiful? This isn't "awesomest bookstores."

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Have been to the Tattered Cover a couple of times. One of the great indie bookstores left in North America. However by no stretch of the imagination is it beautiful.

And Ben's right: the Rizzoli bookstore was stunning.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I loved the old location for Elliott Bay Books, great spot in Pioneer Square. Probably wouldn't fall under beautiful, but definitely a great bookstore.

The new location sucks.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Easy, now.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Slightly off topic, but I wrote a short story a while back about Carnegie Libraries. Had no idea just how much money the great philanthropist left across America for libraries. Hundreds of them. A century later, some are still public libraries, others are restaurants, public spaces, government offices, etc. My town had an unusually high number of Carnegie libraries, for what reason I never could find out. If you love books and don't know about Carnegie libraries, hit the Google for a few minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted