1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 1970's had STYLE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Graduated in 1977. While plenty of people dressed that way, we didn't. My school had a no-jeans, no-sneakers dress code until my senior year, so the uniform among us longhairs was Levis straight-leg corderoys or khakis, cotton buttondown-collar shirt or flannel shirt, tan workboots or beat-up loafers or Wallabees and in winter a down jacket.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

More:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Flash

Flash Guest

See? We white chicks are nuts ... we're wearing all this stuff again ...

[​IMG]

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I've posted this link before, but these guys do a hilarious job dissecting fashion catalogs from the 60s and 70s:

http://tinyurl.com/3a4lsj

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Damn, that's great stuff. I remember my 70s blue jeans moment in high school. Walking down the hall, a hottie walking just ahead of me wearing jeans with a zipper that started in the front and continued between her legs and up to her beltline in back. I may have been a high school looser and never made it with the ladies, but I sure as hell knew what that zipper was all about.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You make it sound like that's a good thing.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Maybe you are.

I sure as hell ain't. ;)

[/looser who pretty much wears sweatshirts and jeans]

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, I work downtown where I see A LOT of fashion do's and don'ts. Let me tell you: money does not buy good taste.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

GQ REGRETS
    A look at—and, dare we say, a celebration of—our occasional lapses in style judgment over the past fifty years

Enjoy the slideshow:
    http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5910

This was in GQ a couple of months back. The 70s stuff is OUTSTANDING. Unfortunately, it's not broken down by decade, so you'll have to suffer through all of it.

10. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The worst parts of the slideshow are mostly from the 80s. The Beatle hair makeover made me laugh out loud, though.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The “jumpajama”
    Okay, I would have never thought of that one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Even though I was only a child, in the 1970s I was dimly aware that everyone around me, myself included, was dressed like a fucking idiot. I think seeing the smartly-dressed people in early-1960s sitcom reruns (Dick Van Dyke Show, etc.) implanted the message that there was a better way.

Draft saved Draft deleted