1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 137th Preakness Stakes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 16, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, I'm really hoping we've got a Triple Crown winner here.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can't wait for three more weeks of stories on Doug O'Neill!

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Slept through it because I had no money on it and also because I've slept a composite 14 hours in the previous four nights. And I have to work all night.

FB was full of orgasmic posts. "One of the best races you'll ever see!!!" "OMG!!!!!!" "Watch it again and again!!!!"

So WTF happened, and why are results not as over the top here? I'm assuming it's because you guys know horse racing and it was a regular late charge. But I don't know because I haven't seen it.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was a little more dramatic than the Derby, because it looked as if Gutierrez might've started the charge a tad too late.

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Pace was slower than in the Derby and Bodemeister went out to the lead again and it didn't look like I'll Have Another was going to be able to get him. I'll Have Another put the hammer down in the last furlong and got him by a neck. It was a great performance, no doubt. As for why not much response on here, maybe it's because we're all journalists, so we're cynical by nature and it's hard for us to gush like that. LOL

6. imjustagirl

You haven't read many threads here, have you newb? :D

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Not nearly as many as you, so I'll defer on this one.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Fabulous effort by jockey and horse. I'll admit, even with a hundred yards left, I didn't think he was going by Bodemeister.

I wish I could go to the Belmont. I was there for the last Triple Crown winner and I'd love to see another; it's one of my favorite racing days of the year.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Will someone go check on Tony Kornheiser? I feel his Mount Rushmore of "athletes" will be changing this week.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So good.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/7950305/preakness-another-restores-our-faith

11. imjustagirl

I went when I was living in CT and Big Brown had a shot at it. couldn't see a thing. Didn't matter. Bought about 15 tickets for friends, $2 to win. :(

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Touch 'em all, Jeff.

Draft saved Draft deleted