1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 109th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But is it windy?

I have feeling this course is going to be soaked. The player with the best long irons wins this week.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tiger's drive on 1 apparently went 50 yards left of the fairway.

Still saved par. Unreal.

3. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The siren went off about ten minutes ago - play has been suspended. Any bets on whether they'll even attempt to re-start today?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dang, a buddy of mine flew out there to meet another buddy and they had tickets to one day -- today. They have plans to play golf Friday; if today's round is a washout I wonder if they'd skip playing and scalp tickets to return Friday.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

USGA expects the rain to last at least an hour, and several of the pins are already underwater, so I'd guess that any possibility of re-starting would have to wait until 1PM at the earliest if all goes well, probably later.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As good friend The Rules Of Golf opined to me via text, "They'd shut the fucker down til next week before" letting the field even *think* of lift/clean/place. And I applaud that.

RB

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tiger calls it "lift, clean and cheat." Totally agree.

8. Rockbottom

Full disclosure: For friendly rounds, I will opt for two off the first, drop at the OB sometimes, play more than one brand if necessary, and carry 15 clubs (though the 3-iron is a snake-masher more than anything). But I DEPLORE bumping it around or otherwise improving the lie. And I have pured it 270 down the sprinkler line straight into Joe Hack's third-shot pothole more than one. Rub o' the green!

RB

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Even by losing three or four hours of play, that means the earliest they can get back on schedule is Saturday. There are players with some very long days ahead of them.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good know I'm not alone in that my 3-iron is little more than a snake-killer. Yes, PETA ... come get me now.

11. Rockbottom

Where I live, one needs a rattler-mangler. It is also a backup putter, should mind find an untimely death.

Right now, I would like to bury said iron into Berman's skull.

RB

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Haven't they played lift, clean and cheat at an Open before? I could swear they did in '96 at Oakland Hills.

Draft saved Draft deleted