1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 109th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Was that the book in which he talked about his caddy knocking up either a stripper or a prostitute shortly after they won the PGA?
    I looked for the book a few years ago and couldn't find it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep.
    I think the caddy was later killed in a traffic wreck, maybe hit by a car?

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't mind seeing the US Open's winning score coming in somewhere around par. I do find tournaments to be somewhat boring when the winner scores a -20. Give me a tournament where the winner scores somewhere between -7 and -10.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mark, I watch guys shoot 10 and 15 under par every week. For the four weeks the majors are played, I like the Oh-My-Teblow difficulty.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'd say 7-10 under is about right for four rounds. I agree there's a balance that should be sought. I don't want 19-under (like when Woods won The British Open a few years back), but I really don't warm up to 6-over as a winning score, either.

A few years ago, I blasted the USGA in a column for setting up the courses too hard. I wrote that when only ONE player out of more than 300 combined in the men's and women's US Opens can break par for 72 holes, something is wrong. It's like a college exam where no one scores better than 60 percent.

These are supposed to be the best players in the world, not amateurs playing the local muni tournament. Again, I think balance is the key.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

100 percent chance of rain for Thursday.

Yuck.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And the USGA is not budging on the "you can't lift-clean-place" policy, either. It's gonna get nasty out there.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Yup. His name was Steve Duplantis, who also caddied a bit for Jim Furyk pre-Fluff.
    Killed by a taxi in Del Mar, California.

Lots of good stories about Duplantis floating around from tour players and caddies alike. He loved to have a good time.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Well, that's the right thing to do. The Tour would be better off using it about half as often as it does.

10. JackReacher

Not saying it's a bad policy. Just that it will make for some very uninteresting golf.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It is pissing rain right now in NYC. Plus, the high temps will likely not be out of the 60s today, so the course won't dry at all.

12. JackReacher

Fortunately, only 20 percent chance of rain tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted