1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 109th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's why I called it "the Open" and not "The Open." :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does NBC have telecast on the weekend?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Pancamo. I'm sure Johnny Miller's sharpening his knives as we speak.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Weak effort. If I would've said that, I would've used "sharpening his swords." [Johnny Miller] ;D

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.stubhub.com/us-open-golf-tickets/us-open-golf-6-20-2009-658300/

You can go for under $100 a person.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If there's anything that's conducive to providing a perfect atmosphere for a nap, it's a six-hour telecast (Sunday, 1:30-7:30) of golf.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I could not disagree more, trifectarich. US Open golf is as tough as it gets, and NBC produces a top-notch product in that long form.

RB

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Big fan of Beemer. Read his book a few years back. Damn good book. Loaned it to a former co-worker a while back...hmmmm......he's such a bad golfer anyway, maybe he picked up a few tips. He can keep it. :)

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Also, you gotta like the USGA's subtle humor -- putting the Romeros (Andres and Eduardo) in the same group, as well as the Singhs (Vijay and Jeev Milkha)!

RB

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's also the all-Scandinavian group of Soren Kjeldsen, Soren Hansen and Peter Hanson.

trifectarich, I love Open Sunday. Love the hours and hours of golf and, yeah, I probably will steal a nap. A perfect Father's Day!

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch provided the 54-hole leader isn't up by double digits, but unless a player has started his round with six consecutive holes-in-one, there's no chance of me tuning in while the players in the last group are still having lunch.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The problem with the US Open is that the USGA sets up the course so hard that no one scores much. Par is a very good score and that makes for boring television.

Would you rather watch guys go out and make birdies and mount a charge? Or watch guys make bogey after bogey? Too often, the tournament comes down to who makes fewer mistakes and misses more putts. That may have some merit in the eyes of the purists and in the eyes of the weekend player who struggles to break 90, but it's not as exciting as the other majors.

If I were given an opportunity to win a major, my choice (in order) would be The (British) Open, The Masters, PGA Championship and then the US Open.

Draft saved Draft deleted