1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 109th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 15, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

6 hours and 20 minutes? Please tell me that's a typo.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With Brian Gay winning his way into the field Sunday, does that bump somebody or do they just add him to the field?

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't care if the other three shot 120 apiece, Tiger could still shoot 65 all four days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just add him to the field. When the USGA announced its Open pairings, it had a spot open for either a new exempt player or an alternate from sectional qualifying.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With three guys in the 80s and the other shooting 101. That's an embarrassment.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't forget, the whole round was shot for an NBC special. So there were likely more than a few TV mandated delays for interviews with MJ, spitballing ideas with the stars for wacky on-the-green banter, etc.

7. Bethpage Black was the best 108 I ever shot

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sure. But I've covered some of those televised yukfests and I know I wasn't out there for six and a half hours.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Could be an epic disaster.

Fairways will be more full of sand divots than the bunkers will be full of sand. Spiked-up greens won't recover in 3-4 days.

Good for Pinehurst and the economy of Moore County, but could be rough sledding for the women after the men chop the course into barely recognizable fish bait.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I would think the landing areas for the women compared to the men would be different in the fairways. Of course, that might put them hitting right into a crossing from the previous week. The greens are also quite small. So yes, this has the potential to have disaster written all over it.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can see the logistical idea of playing the Men's and Women's Opens at the same sight. Only one course to set up, TV platforms, grandstands. Use the same staff for logistics, tickets, etc.

But I suspect they would need at least 2 weeks, maybe 3, between tournaments. Seems the cons outweigh the pros on this idea.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Different teeboxes, yes. Some different landing areas, yes.

But those areas 90-120 yards out, particularly on the par-5s, are usually in somewhat similar ranges to throw darts with a wedge. Wonder how many women will be trying to do so out of sand divots?

And they will be in a no-win situation because it's not considered too uncommon for the men to bark about setup and conditions, but if the women do - and there's considerable room here for them to bark - then the critics will play the "you're just women ... nobody watches you, anyway ... shut up and hit the ball" rhetoric. When it will be obvious that the USGA's idea of a setup won't give the women a chance on a chopped-up course.

Draft saved Draft deleted