1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 109th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 15, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Usually not much news generated on a Monday. Word out of Bethpage is that in 2014, the USGA is going to play the Open at Pinehurst No. 2 and then play the Women's Open on the very same golf course the next week.

Interesting idea, but I see more downside than up.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not that the men are going to tear the place up like a bunch of 25 handicappers, but will the place be as perfect the second week for the women as it will be for the men?

The USGA said they won't take down any grandstands immediately after the men are done, which is the right thing to do for congestion's sake, but it will look strange to have all those seats for maybe 50 percent of the crowd (though TV will surely keep the cameras tight during the Women's Open). Same can be said for the media center.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lousy idea. I think the local citizenry may have gotten their fill just about the time the women hit town. Ladies could easily get lost in the shuffle being the back end of a two week golf fest, and fighting for attention with the men.

Much better to have a city be totally focused on one of these championships, be it men or women, rather than trying to divide attention between both.

If they want to do this, they need to schedule the women's tournament first.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

According to Wilbon, Big Ben shot 81 at Bethpage Black. Jordan shot 86 and Timberlake shot 88. I'm guessing this was recently.

Is this course easier or are Big Ben, Jordan and JT Money that good?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

These are exactly the two areas that came to mind. Ever see some of the fairways after the pros are there for a week? Looks like someone used the area for grenade practice.

And if they don't take down half the grandstands, it'll look awful on television.

I can't wait to hear the bitching if there's a playoff on Monday and the women don't have access to the course.

6. playthrough

Or if there's enough rain to completely kill a day of men's play, perhaps pushing the schedule back.

The women played at Pine Needles two years ago; I wonder if the USGA thought about using that course for the women again instead of this same-site doubleheader.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Cue trumpets! Majestic flyovers! Hicks: "NBC, and the United States Golf Association, are proud to present a national championship" ... Miller, in curmudgeonly tone: "I could have shot 63 here all four days!" ... Maltbie, on internal loop: "A case of Pall Malls to 4 tee, stat."

RB

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing good with easy pin placements.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But isn't BB the longest course in history or something like that? Shooting in the 80s is damn impressive for those three fellas. Based on that, you'd think Tiger should shoot 65 all four days.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I didn't see the stories. Did they play from the same tees, and I'm sure the USGA has grown the rough even more the last couple of weeks. At my former paper, our columnist played hazeltine like a week before the PGA was held there, and he shot like a 72. he was a scratch golfer, but he still framed the scorecard.

11. playthrough

Times have changed:

In 2002 I got picked in the USGA lottery for four weeklong Bethpage tickets. Took my Dad and paid for nearly the entire trip with the profits off the other two tickets, which I sold on ebay.

For this year I got picked in the lottery again, but couldn't go. Had to bust my tail to salvage about 75 cents on the dollar for all the tickets. The USGA put a bunch on sale at the course last weekend, as so many corporations returned piles of tickets.

I'm sure it will be called a "sellout" on NBC all week, but this is a far cry from the first go-round at the Black in terms of fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted