1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 101st most awesomest college band performance ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Player1, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Our schools can't afford marching bands. So we drink instead.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

My first concert ever, the Grass Roots, Herman's Hermits, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and the Monkees following a Temple-Florida A&M game. They were bands 2-5 that day. The FAMU band kicked ass. I was disappointed when they didn't travel to a I-AA playoff game I covered a few years ago.

3. heytkachuk

heytkachuk New Member

Ohio University's Marching 110 rules. It plays better than the football team.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

The SMB ending is absolutely perfect.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's cute ... but the draw to the original link was the old school video game themes.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The label on the Grambling clip is in error. That's not a marching band. It's a dance-in-one-place band, and I don't say that to disparage the entertainment. Marching bands do more than march to the middle of the field in one formation and march back off the field in the same formation.[/sonofbitteroldbandfatherwhothinksyougottahaveadifferentshoweachweek]

All that said, I've covered one SWAC game in my career. Went to Itta Bena for Alcorn-Valley, and I'd put them up against what I just saw from Grambling. The bands spent way more time limbering up before halftime than the teams did before the game. Both were entertaining as hell.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As a veteran of both styles of bands, each bring entirely different elements to the table.

One brings unbridled enthusiasm, the other tends to make better use of dynamics. One brings moves that boggle the mind (try some of these moves with quad/quints or bass drums strapped to you), while the other brings precision charts.

Both are outstanding ... just don't try to combine the elements like one idiot director I know. Complete disaster ...

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And had the thread title been "awesome band performance of video game themes" then cool enough. But when one says it's the best performance ever, I can have a difference of opinion.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I know it's a wholly different thing, but I've got to admit I love the Aggie band. Just too snappy.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought this had something to do with Ft. Campbell. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted