1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 10 most pointless, yet funny, rivalries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 23, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh. By the time I get there, all my luck will be pissed down my leg.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Jerry Mitchell vs. Buddy Revell

... ah, dang picture ain't loading

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Buddy Sorrell vs Mel Cooley

YHS, etc

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

Fred Sanford vs. Aunt Esther

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That gets esoteric points for the three people on here who are likely to remember that movie.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I completely disagree. This is a phenomenal rivalry. To prove it, I'm going to post something I wrote about a year ago regarding their rivalry. (Actually, it's the only post I've ever made that someone followed with a "post of the year nominee.")

There is something to be said for both theories, but I think it goes deeper. Do we know how they first came into contact? Was it a chance meeting? Was Wile E. hunting the Road Runner? What was said? Maybe the Road Runner said something like "You'll never catch me you fucking pussy." At that point, Wile E. has no choice but to devote his life to catching that fucking bird.

Even if the Road Runner just played it cool and didn't say any shit like that, a rivalry emerged somewhere along the line. You never give up on a rival. Never. And Wile E., always the coyote's coyote, lived by those same words. Maybe the first two meetings were flukes and the Road Runner escaped. But, by that time, it was too late. It became a disease.

Someone asked about buying a chicken farm instead. That person is a quitter. If some fucking bird ran you off a cliff more than 75,000 times, caused you to be involved in more than 15,000 explosions and was the reason you've had anvils and boulders dropped on your head for the last 15 years and you fucking LIVED, you're telling me you wouldn't spend every waking moment hunting down that mother fucker?

Every night, Wile E. went to sleep hearing that incessant fucking "Beep beep." It haunted his dreams...if he could even sleep. Could you rest if you'd been bested every god damned day of your adult life? I couldn't.

And neither could Wile E.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Itchy and Scratchy

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Holy shit, Xan. Good call.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Uncle Jesse vs. Boss Hogg

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Maryland vs. N.C. State. As in, why the HELL are they on during "rivalry week"?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This almost needs to be copied into a Kevin Smith script and read by Jason Lee in some kind of Mallrats/Chasing Amy type sequel.

Draft saved Draft deleted