1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's the ultimate illustration of "Couging it."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That, my friends, is the ultimate illustration of "Couging it." Once again impossibly snatching defeat from the jaws of certain victory.

Unbelievable. I know a lot of people here think Leach is a great coach but (IMHO) he is the most overrated coach in the country. He gave this game away today.

* Second-and-5 with 4 minutes left and a 15-point lead and you pass twice? Even if you don't get the first down you make CSU use its final timeouts. RUN THE BALL.

* Then you play soft D, give up a TD in less than a minute, get a break when one fumble is given back on review and then fumble again on the next play after snapping the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock with the clock running and under two minutes to play?

* Then after CSU scores you call your final timeout on the two-point conversion to not only left CSU set up its play, but burn the TO you might need to try a possible game-winning FG?

* Then you fumble away the kickoff and lose the game on a last-second FG.

Leach should lock himself in a tool shed after that one.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: That's the ultimate definition of "Couging it."

That was hilarious. Complete meltdown.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. The praise for Leach has always mystified me. It seems to come mostly because he treats his players like shit, and a lot of people think that makes him wonderful. He's a mediocre coach at best and will always blame his players for his own failings.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones is oddly interested.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember Leach fumbling the ball three times, but, yes, that was Chernobyl-esque.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think he feels he has to live up to his own image, which is great as long as you win. When you lose you look like an idiot.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That was very entertaining.

In fairness to Leach, though, the little short dinky throws are what pass for running plays in that offense. Either way, however, you've got to close out a game when you have a 15-point lead with 4 minutes to go.

Also, I'd like to know what the head linesman thought he was looking at when he called CSU's 2-point play no good. The play was right in front of him and the runner knocked over the pylon with the ball, for crying out loud.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

2:01 to play, second down when the call was reviewed. Game clock starts, 25 second to hike the ball. Hike with 1:38 or so left, take a knee. Third down, snap at about 1 minute, take a knee. Another 39 seconds or so, fourth down, take the DOG, punt with about 15 seconds left. I like my chances. Hell, run around for 10 seconds and take a safety.

Leach calls every play. Not going into victory formation was inexcusable. Don't give your team the chance to have an opponent rip the ball out of your player's hands.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that 2:01 is little early to be going into victory formation, but the bigger point is what it says about the relative strength of your running backs that they had the ball ripped from their grasp on consecutive plays.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To be fair, Wazzu may not have Victory Formation in its playbook.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It's pretty common for college football coaches to have the "I'm the smartest guy in any room" syndrome. Leach has coupled that with a severe case of "And I'm going to be the biggest prick in the world, too"-itis.

Maybe it's because I don't find his love of pirates interesting in the least or think it's hilarious when he talks about players and their "fat little girlfriends", but I find it very enjoyable to see him shit the bed.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

That was a hard game to watch. I've been watching and loving the Cougs since the late 1980s, so I've seen a lot of heartbreakers. Never seen one to top that in terms of blowing it. Grrrr.

Draft saved Draft deleted