1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's some sp ... uh ... javelin-throwing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jun 21, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It could also be that by dialing it back a little his form was much better and that improved his throw that much.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

He did it on his second throw and took the rest of the night off. And his first throw was 20 feet better than anyone else.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wow. Just wow.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here he is throwing 297 earlier this year.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Greer is a super guy. A bit of a wild man, but a great, great guy. He competed in the Athens Olympics with a torn ACL.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Kinda lousy coverage there. just the throw, nothing in flight or where it landed.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm still waiting for it to load, third time I've clicked on it, waited two minutes each.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Some of us may remember my old HS teammate as well - he won a Big 10 title at Penn State eight years or so ago. He was throwing 220ish then; I was 100 or so feet behind. (And just because some people are born with unreal athleticism, he's the same guy who won the World Long Drive championship a few years back.)

Shotty, the link you gave didn't want to load for me, but I watched a few of his others. It seems weird - not only from him, but from some of the other world-class guys - that we were always taught to throw with a much higher elbow, say nose level or so.

These guys have a much lower elbow which, I want to say, decreases the whip. But the arm speed is incredible.

God how I miss watching javelin.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Were the specs of the javelin changed a while back so it wouldn't go as far and did that necessitate a new set of records?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They were changed, but I don't know the specifics.

I think the main checkpoint for the top throwers now is to be planted at the time of the throw -- a right-hander's left foot is already down, and it leads into the buggy-whip.

At the time I threw, we were just to concentrate on the javelin following its own path at a 45-degree angle. Some of these guys are setting up considerably higher than that.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Greer? I thought he went to Northeast Louisiana.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

No...sorry for the confusion.

My teammate was Carl Wolter.

Draft saved Draft deleted