1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's some sp ... uh ... javelin-throwing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jun 21, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This ex-javelin thrower points out an American record in the event tonight ... 299-6 by Breaux Greer. Try to picture it ... goal line to goal line on a football field. Gasp.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I saw Chad Radgowski, now at LSU, throw it over 200 ft for a high school in Pittsburgh. That was something to see. I can't imagine a whole extra 100 feet on top of that.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's my thought. Past few years, I've seen Radgowski, Thomas Jordan, Justin Ryncavage ... all in the PIAA meet. And gasped at 220-footers.

Incidentally, Radgowski threw 201 tonight ... and placed dead last.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Holy shit, that's pretty damn impressive. What's the world record? I was always impressed when I saw pitchers long-tossing, throwing from the wall in left-center to the right-field foul line, but a javelin is a completely different motion an set of mechanics.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Record has held up since 1996: 323-1, Jan Železný (Czech Republic), Jena, Germany 5/25/96.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Really? I thought he had been doing really well this year. In fact, I thought he had a few throws over 240 this past year. I could be completely wrong, though.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Hot damn.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He had to be doing well to qualify. Just a terrible 3-throw series tonight.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In high school, one of my teammates threw 219.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The guy who threw at my high school before me won the D-II national title his senior year ... at 235.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

More impressive: Greer 299-6, 2nd place 246-3!

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Isn't it, though? And get this, though I smell bullshit ... Greer later said that was a "75 percent" throw, because he wanted to be sure to get a mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted