1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's one helluva old hoax!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

"Time has proven that even 22 years ago climate scientists understood the dynamics behind global warming well enough to accurately predict warming, says an analysis that compares predictions in 1990 with 20 years of temperature records.
    After an adjustment to account for natural fluctuations, the predictions and the observed increases matched up, the current research found."

http://news.yahoo.com/20-old-report-successfully-predicted-warming-scientists-200858337.html

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Well . . .yeah.

CFCs and all that.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i blame long links.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

touche.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

thank god.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you read the whole article? It's hysterical.

The results didn't actually match up, so they skewed them! Where's Nate Silver to call "bull shit" when we need him:

In percentage terms, a 0.63 degrees F increase isn't really that close to a 1 degree F increase.

10 years is also an incredibly short period to look at.

Then there's the weather stations these studies rely on. They're not owned, managed, or maintained by the the people running the study. The study relies on self reporting.

And, besides the fact that there's no "control" to compare the results to -- what would be the planets temperature if human existence ended in 1990 -- there are all kinds of flaws with the stations themselves:

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

fox news and the guardian. quality work, YF. quality work.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

So tonight's game means nothing? If I don't die on the 21st, it doesn't matter? Because the world is warming so fast that I will burn to a crisp three days later?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

naw. read the title. it's a hoax. just like evolution.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do you deny what the articles claim?

There are problems with the weather stations. That's a fact.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

dunno, dude. i don't read or listen to shit that comes from fox, a proven lying fucking "news" outlet.

Draft saved Draft deleted