1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's Not Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 27, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ever notice that when an athlete acts like an asshole, in his apology after the fact, he invariably says, "That's not me," even though it was him?

The examples that pop into my head are NFL-related because it's what I am paying the most attention to, but I am positive there are examples from other sports.

For example, Terrell Owens, after ripping Donovan McNabb:

A week or two ago, New York Jets RB Leon Washington about a trading card photo on which he is flipping the bird with both hands:

Then, twice yesterday...

Michael Vick after flipping fans the bird:

Braylon Edwards about leaving lipstick all over the sidelines:

So if it isn't them, then who is it?

I think "That's not me" should be officially retired from the apology lexicon.

2. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Cue Shaggy.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Michael Richards also has been popping out the "That's not me" in his apologies.

In all of these cases, it sure as hell acted like you and sounded like you.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Next thing you know, Ragu is gonna tell us "That's not me" behind the sign in his sig!

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

And there, thanks to some nice legwork by Ragoo, is a readymade column.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com -- making sports writers lazier and crabbier since 2001.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Prefab columns (and psychiatry): 5 cents

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I want to apologize for my earlier mean-spirited post. That's not me. Really, I'm much meaner and more cynical but I was having an uncharacteristically good day.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There's a saying that goes, "adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it." Yes, it's cliche, but it's true. When an athlete says something that society deems out of line, it is not a rogue thought that somehow found its way to his mouth for that one aberration. If he says it or does it in public, he's said or done it in private many times. The whole "it's not me" thing is the height of disingenuity.

Vick played his heart out yesterday, but he's starting to look more and more like a punk to me.

10. alexg23

alexg23 Member

You missed one: Jacksonville Jaguars tackle Khalif Barnes apologizing after a recent drunk driving arrest: People that really know me know that <b>that's not me</b>."

Who knew NFL players were such big Brian Wilson fans?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"That's not me" ~ "That's in the past"

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I can only think of two things with LJB's post:

1. That pretty much sums up Michael Strahan in the locker room today after he threw Burress under the bus on his radio show and then goes off on the media.

or

2. Strahan's messy divorce

Draft saved Draft deleted