1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's hot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

...so that's why nobody lives there

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Hmmm...to get the humidity you get down here, you have to live in a subtropical climate. And to live in a subtropical climate means you are prone to tropical cyclones.

So it's a trade-off.

My European mother always tells me that North America is an awful weather continent compared to Europe. We all have our rough weather except for the west coast, and they are all an earthquake away from falling into the Pacific :D

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I would love to live in Seattle. 80 degrees in the summer is considered unseasonably hot out there. And I'll take rain over 2-foot snowstorms in the winter any day.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've been in Flagstaff twice in the summer and concur. Such are benefits of being almost 7,000 feet above sea level.

Of course, I don't imagine the winters are nearly as pleasant.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Flagstaff gets 100 inches of snow a year. Needless to say, it's ski country. But if I were ever abducted and forced at gunpoint to live in Arizona against my will, Flag or Sedona is where I'd want to live. Beautiful.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's weird reading all these posts about how hot it is in the East and Midwest. Out in the CA desert, we've had a mild summer. We haven't had a week of 110 yet.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We had prep softball state tournament games in May get snowed out ... and then have it be 75 the next day. Also got hit with a 34-inch snowstorm on March 31 once there.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what my electricity bill is going to look like this month.

The saving grace is that I haven't lost power despite some pretty severe storms.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

"Tomorrow it's going to rain, but if you have an umbrella, it'll feel like it's dry."

RIP Greg Giraldo.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This part of Kansas has been as hot and as dry as it gets. So what happened here today? A monsoon strikes at about 3:15. It forced the cancellation of the third-place game of the 9-year-old baseball state tournament here. Then they decided that they couldn't get the field dry, either, since it's a softball field the rest of the year, so it doesn't have infield grass. Championship game canceled, too.

They couldn't postpone the games to tomorrow because the champion and runner-up have to check in at the regional tournament in South Dakota Wednesday. So the state association declared them co-champs but the hometown team will get the higher seed in the regional because it beat the runner-up earlier in the tournament in pool play.

The thing was, they broke the tie for third based on pool play results, so the hometown team coaches were pissed they didn't use the same logic to declare their team state champs outright.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It was amazingly hot on Saturday, so hot that I invited friends over for a "cold" dinner of chicken salad, fruit and cucumber salad. During the meal we got a wrath of God lightening and thunder storm that knocked out power for 3 1/2 hours which is a long damn time for where I live.

Crazy fing weather.

Draft saved Draft deleted