1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's hot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 21, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just now looked at this thread. I had been wondering if we somehow could make it past the first page without starting this crap. Guess not.

Unlike some of the people responding, I do get your point -- the over-reaction either way just because of a few days of hot or cold weather is ridiculous.

I also don't understand how somebody says they don't "buy" heat index or wind chill. Thinks like humidity and wind do have an impact on how we feel and how our bodies react to heat or cold.

Doubt it? Spend a little time in New Orleans when it is 100 degrees out with 100 percent humidity and it isn't raining. Yuck.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The worst is when you get one of those 10-minute monsoons you get in south Louisiana. When it's done, the sun comes back out, the heat comes right back and now the water on the ground starts evaporating and it turns the sidewalk into an outdoor sauna. Miserable, miserable, miserable.

I went to the CWS in 2001 when Tulane was there and it was hot in Omaha for part of it, climbing near 100. But I swear 95 in Omaha was absolutely comfortable compared to 90 in New Orleans. Heat index baby, heat index.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm kinda enjoying this. Now everyone up there on the eastern seaboard and in the NE part of this country knows what it's like for us EVERY SUMMER in Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas. There's a reason why we all have central a/c in every building.

The heat wouldn't be so bad here if we had any humidity whatsoever in the air. No humidity + 100+ degree temperatures every day + zero rain = massive wildfires. I wonder if some of the people who complain about how humid it is would rather have their house burn down. Me, I'd take humidity over this godawful drought.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

96 here today. About 20 percent humidity.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas hasn't been all that awful. It got to 101º in Dallas yesterday, but the normal is 97º.

Down here, heat is a fact of life and it is what it is.

But in places like South Dakota and Minnesota, that crap is ridiculous. When the northern tip of Maine gets freaking tornadoes, hello!

I'm in Austin right now and they're expecting a low of 79º. In DFW, that'd be a breath of relief. In Austin, it's a record high minimum.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Except the NE isn't BUILT for it. There ISN'T central air in every building. So to say you're enjoying it when people literally don't have places to escape to that are centrally conditioned is kind of weird.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pretty much all of Central/Eastern Kansas has been baking for the last three weeks. I think we've seen 18 straight days of 100-plus degrees.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've never experienced better summers than in Flagstaff, AZ. Usually 82, sunny, 8-9 percent humidity. Every. Day. Rarely goes over 85. Nights cool into the high 50s. Rains a bit in July, but usually just quick, heavy thunderstorms.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. That would be like one of us saying we would enjoy it if New Orleans got buried under a foot of snow.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I posted a snarky comment about the heat and my nephew in the Army responded, "Try living in Afghanistan." Touché.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not really, it's regularly in the 90s in the Dakotas and Minnesota in July and August.

Experienced a 140-degree temperature differential virtually every year in North Dakota; 100+ in the summer, -40 in the winter.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Been so dry here I haven't mowed my yard since May.

Draft saved Draft deleted