1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's hot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's so hot in Richmond, I am considering NOT taking my daughter to a water park tomorrow.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

God help you if you're in Stafford, VA. Temperature of 99 + dew point of 86 = heat index of 133.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Don't look at "humidity" readings ... the dew point lets you know how miserable it is. And a dew point of 86 is off-the-charts miserable.

If I recall, earlier this week, the dew point was 80-plus in Chicago, and when the wind finally blew in off Lake Michigan, it cooled the air enough that the temp was the same as the dew point. Result: thick fog along the shoreline that forced lifeguards to close the beaches, because they couldn't see swimmers.

Today? I'll be kind and not talk about the weather here in the Pacific Northwest ...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Weather Channel ap says it is now 107 degrees in Baltimore. The crabs now come out of the bay pre-steamed

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Got a little break yesterday here in Mississippi. Some clouds and showers actually kept the high around 90, maybe even a little below. It was a rare treat that had me cursing at the just-close-enough thunderstorms that kept me from cutting the grass.
    Most summer days it's closer to 95. We don't stress too much until it gets to about 100 or the humidity spikes. Crank the air, stay inside until at least evening and wonder how the hell people lived in this part of the country before 1950 or so.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Down in the gulf coast, we're catching a break from daily downpours. Which is great because we were in a long, strange drought. You don't have droughts down here, but we managed to have one.

The running joke down here in Louisiana is we managed to find a way to combine severe floods (the Mississippi) with severe drought. The drought actually saved us from worse flooding.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Of course, it was hotter for longer periods of time in the 1930s.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

On a hot summer night, the National Weather Service wonders if you would offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Amen and AMEN!!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been kind of funny in Central Mississippi. Over the past month, we've been stuck in the daily thunderstorm pattern for a week or so at a time. Heavy, heavy rain -- if it actually falls on you. And it's never seemed to actually fall on the official weather station at the airport in Jackson. So a lot of the towns within 15 or 20 miles of Jackson have had at least one day with an inch or two of rain. One town in the northern suburbs got about 3 inches when a thunderstorm stalled on top of it yesterday.
    Yet, at the airport, not a drop. Which means this part of the state is officially running a huge rainfall deficit and probably considered to be in a severe drought.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Summer arrived today in Microville. Mid-80s, low humidity, nice breeze. Sometimes it takes a while to get here but there is no nicer weather in the country than an averasge PNW summer/September.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

100 air temp, 111 heat index in my 'burg along the PA/NJ state line. My wife took the kids to a mall instead of cooped up near the room A/C. I'm at the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees game and it's just miserable.

Draft saved Draft deleted