1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That weird house around the corner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Aug 5, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Everyone's got one. Ours was a perfectly nice looking colonial, well kept, new lawn installed last summer. It would sell for close to $500K . No outward problems -- except for the hundreds of rats living under the deck and occasionally infesting surrounding homes.

The town was unwilling to do anything substantial, but had investigated enough to know this: the husband had done time for embezzlement, convicted in part on evidence found in his household trash. While he was in stir, his wife had a breakdown, and afterward refused to put the trash out for pick-up. Instead for several years it piled up under their deck, in the garage, in the house. Not long after that she refused to part with anything, even after he was released from jail, until even their second car sat in the driveway, undriveable , because its was stuffed front to back with garbage, household detritus, and assorted other debris including rocks and dirt.

The town got the couple to at least rent a van to haul away their trash. The used that van for more than six months to transport garbage to the dump. By this time, the rats had taken to sunning themselves on the front stoop, without a care in the world and massive food supply at claw's reach. Dead rats were turning up in the neighbors' yards. The residents had also taken to covering their windows with cardboard.

Eventually, the area around the house stank so much of urine that the state came and took away the dog, which no one ever saw walked. Later, state environmental investigators and even OSHA came by, with a court order and dumpsters, to clean out the house. It took two loads of dumpsters and the partial demolition of walls and floors to rid the house of its rodent infestation. The state also put a lien on the house, for services rendered.

The residents also removed their stuff several times, backing up the rental van to the front door at night, and turning out the lights, so no one could see what they were doing. But we were told that the house was soaked in rat and dog urine, and crap was piled to the ceiling in most of the rooms.

The people are living with friends, but the disposition of the house is unclear.

Anyone else have a similar story?
  2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, I just got the heeby jeebies reading that.
  3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just another beautiful day in the 'burbs, hey, goalmouth?
  4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I still have last Sunday's newspaper sitting on the table.
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I guess you never went over for any cookouts, huh?
  6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not even close.
  7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This reads like an urban legend...I'm using teh googles to search for it.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess that house won't be selling for $500K after all.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Through it all, I learned an important new term -- harborage.

I also learned that inocuous elements of suburban life -- bird feeders, mulch and drain pipes -- provide a source of harborage for rodents.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, rat's gotta eat, too.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't anything quite like this - thankfully - but my mother-in-law is a complete pack rat.

Once my wife and her brothers moved out she continued to fill every available inch of space in a fair-sized house with old newspapers, junk mail, flyers, old clothes, crap she salvaged from her parent's house when they died and God knows what else.

I won't go and visit there because there's so much dust it's murder on my allergies and my son isn't happy that he can't go and stay overnight with his grandparents because there is nowhere for him to sleep (there's barely anywhere to sit).

One of the first times I went there I went to the basement to get more beer or something and couldn't believe the junk. My future brother-in-law came down, saw the astonished look on my face and said "Believe it or not there's a pool table down here". I took his word for it, I've never seen it although I'm sure it's there.

If there's ever a fire there that place will go up like a Roman candle.
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just stay off my damn lawn, goalmouth.
Draft saved Draft deleted