1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That time Steve Harvey started the Columbian-Filipino War

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 20, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would avoid putting numbers on the card altogether. Too easy for him to glance at the card, see a 1 next Columbia and scan past the rest, thinking, "There's No. 1." If you at least write First Runner Up, he's more likely to read the whole thing, because he's already started reading the first word, instead of seeing a number. I also probably wouldn't separate the winner away from the first two. If there's three names to be read, and they're each in line, he's going to keep reading down the page. If you're scanning the card, and you see two names lumped together, it's easy enough not to move your eyes down to the bottom right.

The winner's name should also be the biggest font of anything on the card. It's the most important piece of information there. Hell, put a picture of a damn tiara next the winner.

Ultimately, it's obviously on him not to screw that up (especially given the eternity he took to actually announce the name), but I can see how it would happen.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Supports your idea.

Chef2 and bigpern23 like this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It's a little sad that it takes a tragedy such as this for some folks to realize that page design matters.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How do they usually announce it, though?

Do they usually do the second runner- up, then say "and the first-runner up is ..." in a backwards way to announce the winner? Or do they do the second runner-up and then "the winner is ...?"

The first method could be kinda confusing.

Next time, they should just spell out exactly what he should say, word for word.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Many took issue that in his original apology tweet, he added insult to injury by spelling Colombia incorrectly as "Columbia."

Come on, Steve.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At the final 10, they should have had teams of five do Family Feud

(Hi, Luggy!)

exmediahack likes this.
  8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

He also apologized to "Miss Philippians".

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How did a book of the Bible get an entry?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fact: Steve's Twitter to the Philippians is the shortest book in the Bible at 140 characters.

old_tony, HC, Batman and 1 other person like this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if he was having trouble reading the card. If you handed that to me and I didn't have my reading glasses on, I'd be screwed.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

It would have been even more fun if Havrey just did a walkoff instead of correcting it. How would the Miss Universe machine fix it without Havrey throwing himself to the wolves.

Draft saved Draft deleted