1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

! . . . That symbol is called . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Oct 1, 2007.

  1. trifectarich

    trifectarich Well-Known Member

    So, I'm working through a backlog of NYT crosswords over the weekend.

    As I begin to fill in one answer, E-X-C-L-A-M-A-T-I-O-N-P-O-I . . . I realize it's one block short of what I'm trying to fit in. After working to fill in some of the blanks at the end of the answer, it comes to me they're looking for "exclamation mark" instead of "exclamation point." I do not see exclamation "mark" in my stylebook or my dictionary.

    In 30 years of journalism I've never heard it called this. Anyone else?
  2. Barsuk

    Barsuk Active Member

    It's an exclamation point to me.
  3. Flash

    Flash Guest

    We refer to it as a 'slammer.'
  4. Angola!

    Angola! Guest

    Did someone call?
  5. Whatever JDV calls it is good with me, since he uses it most.
  6. Mystery_Meat

    Mystery_Meat Guest

  7. JR

    JR Well-Known Member

    They're interchangeable.

    I think "mark" may be more British but they're synonyms.
  8. Chi City 81

    Chi City 81 Guest

    It's a slammer, in newspaper parlance. Especially when used with GOTCHA!
  9. Flash

    Flash Guest

  10. Barsuk

    Barsuk Active Member

  11. Cansportschick

    Cansportschick Active Member

    I have....in my first year j school class.
  12. bydesign77

    bydesign77 Active Member

    It's a factorial symbol in math.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page