1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That Miami Heat winning streak

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In honor of 21, the Heat's 24-game winning streak really needs its own thread instead of being on the running one.

I didn't see the game tonight but was checking my phone. Was playing old man hoops and I announced Heat were down 22 at one point in the third. No one in the gym thought Cleveland would win, which has a lot to do with their ineptitude (injuries of course killing them) but also a lot to do with how people view the Heat at this point.

As a Lakers groupie I don't want them beating it but this is incredibly fun to watch. Who would remember Gail Goodrich if it falls? I see them getting to 29 -- Pistons, Bobcats, Magic, Bulls, Hornets -- and then they travel to San Antonio. Pop probably sits Duncan, Manu and Parker. (Could also see the Bulls maybe pulling it off, it's in Chicago).

Never thought anyone would approach 33 and it says something that as crazy as Miami's streak is...they still need nine -- a great streak itself -- just to tie it. So...do they get it?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

They've gone on impressive runs in a few games during this streak, and it seems to be happening more in the latter half of the streak, to win games late. I think they'll go to the well for a run and just not have it in them one of these times. I feel they're more likely to get tripped up by someone that we wouldn't expect to beat them. When they're "up" for a whole game, like I would assume they will be against San Antonio, they're nearly unbeatable. Hell, as they've shown, they're nearly unbeatable now even when they don't play that well most of the game. The only team to take close to their best shot during the streak, and almost beat them, was Memphis.

And just looking at their schedule during the streak, they apparently don't like playing on Wednesdays. They almost lost to Philly and Orlando the past two Wednesdays and then Cleveland tonight. So maybe Chicago next week is the pick.

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

i realize they were playing an already bad team without its three top scorers, but it took NINE minutes to erase a 27-point deficit.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

How did they fall behind 27 in the first place, though? Or did they spot the Cadavers a 25-point lead plus possession?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I am so honored.

Really amazed by the lack of interest in the NBA on this board. Why is that?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because it's not the WNBA.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not even if they were permitted to use six players on the court at a time.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This has become exciting. Never really thought a team would approach the 33-game streak.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think last night suggests that after beating Boston, the Heat really began to think about the record. That of course makes it harder to break. The '71-'72 Lakers broke the old record (which was 19) so relatively early in their streak it was almost like starting over.
    It'll be tough, great as they're playing. A 10-game streak is a big deal in the NBA, and that's what Miami has left to do.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Probably a little drained after the Boston game. They had a day in between, yes, but that's one of the few regular-season games the Heat really get up for (@Boston). Tough to channel that same sort of energy for Cleveland.

The Basketball Jones podcast is so damn entertaining that it's gotten me back into the NBA this year, even if my team (PHX) sucks donkey balls.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I must admit I've become interested in the streak over the last week or so.

It's nice to see them come back from a deficit like that, because most teams would have pulled its starters and figured that they could focus on the playoffs and not the streak. I was quite pleased that wasn't the case.

As far as the lack of interest in the NBA, when the biggest story this season, and really since November has been the Lakers, it's easy to understand why people can't get worked up over a team that isn't likely to be anything better than a No. 7 or No. 8 seed.

I don't think people hate LeBron as much as they did a year ago, but I don't get the sense that a ton of people outside of Florida are rooting for him either. When it starts to seem like it's a foregone conclusion that the Heat will repeat, people will lose interest. The streak can change that a bit.

I think it will be funny if the Heat break the win streak record and then lose in the playoffs in part because they got tired trying to make sure the streak continued.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that the general viewing public will start to take serious notice if and when it gets into the high 20s and, in particular, past 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted