1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That Little League World Series double play

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Did anyone see that tag-the-runner, fire-to-first-in-one-motion double play the California shortstop pulled with the bases loaded? I was stunned...no hesitation whatsoever...perfect balance...in that situation, as a 12-year-old...

I know it's Little League, but given the pressure of the moment, that's one of my favorite baseball plays in recent memory.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The defense in these games is what impresses me the most. Though it does seem that managers have become even douchier in recent years, even knowing they are miked.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sweet play, for sure.
    Like Dan said, the defense some of these teams play is better than a lot of high school teams you see. Not so much in terms of speed or hands, but just knowing what to do with the ball and where to be.

4. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

I have always said that the kids should coach both third and first, not just first. Seems to me, when you are on offense, you have a coach out there, on the field, matching wits with 12 year olds in hectic, make-quick-decision moments and it just is not fair, especially because the defense has no equivalent.
    Just my two cents -- take the coaches off the field in Little League, with the only adults on the field of play being the umpires (gargantuan strike zone and all)

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That double play was brilliant. Most players (any age) in that situation likely would have tried to go home.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That was an outstanding play.

The Taiwanese players certainly mastered the art of subtly leaning into a pitch with their huge elbow pads and getting clipped by a marginally inside pitch. If you wear one of those huge elbow pads, it should just be a ball when you get hit on one, not a free base.

The strike zones at the LLWS are consistently awful. And I get tired of commentators justifying a pitch that's six inches to a foot off the plate being called a strike by saying the umpire is being "consistent."

Consistently calling an obvious ball a strike is just bad umpiring.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've seen many college and U.S. softball games on TV where the strike zone is just as bad. And the umps are usually women who look like men (not that there's anything wrong with that ...).

Like I've always said, a strike should ALWAYS be a strike and a ball should ALWAYS be a ball, no matter who is pitching or hitting.

Draft saved Draft deleted