1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"That little ball of fluff you own is a natural born killer"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TrooperBari, Jan 23, 2013.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Gareth Morgan: Economist, environmentalist, genocidal maniac. This man -- if he can be called such -- wants to rid New Zealand of cats. Surprisingly enough, this idea is struggling to catch on in a country where almost 50 percent of homes have at least one cat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/22/new-zealand-cat-lovers-campaign

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not the worst idea.

Cats are awful.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's easy. Enlist the aid of Peter Jackson to put out a call for thousands of cat extras to appear in the next Hobbit movie.

The kiwis will gladly offer their cats to be immortalized. Then throw them all in a troll stew pot.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As good excuse as any to link to my favorite New Yorker cartoon ever.

http://www.condenaststore.com/-sp/It-s-not-enough-that-we-succeed-Cats-must-also-fail-New-Yorker-Cartoon-Prints_i8542217_.htm

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Here's a photo of some New Zealanders fleeing their cats:

[​IMG]

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

LOOK AT THE BOOONNNNES, MAN!!!!

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not just an anti-cat campaign.
    It's a response to the effect on the native bird population.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We had three sibling cats (one died last year), all of which were barn kittens but have lived inside their entire lives.

I assumed if any of them ever confronted a real mouse that there might be some confusion on how to proceed.

Nope. A poor luckless mouse got into the cat food bag in the garage (dumbass) in our old house. When my wife brought the bag inside to refill the everyday cat food box - there went mouse through the house.

It took the calico cat about 5 minutes to track him down and return him, quite dead, to my wife.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Our old cat was a natural mouser (and birder and occasionally a squirreler).

Interestingly, he was never box-trained, but when he had to go, he'd wait by the door to be let outside to do his business, wander around a bit, then come back inside.

Our current cat thinks mousing is beneath her.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We've (kinda) got a cat that is a neighborhood stray.

[​IMG]

We let him into the house whenever he's around but after a few hours, he wants to go back out. Sometimes he comes back in a few minutes. Sometimes he's gone for a few days. I guess it's just his thing. Sometimes he wants company. Sometimes he doesn't. Quite friendly and very patient, even putting up with our Boston mix, who thinks he's a funny-looking dog and keeps trying to get him to play (as seen above).

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My girlfriend has two cats. One of those fuckers likes to run laps around the apartment in the middle of the night. Her place has hard wood floors. She insists on sleeping with the door open, because if the door is closed those fucking felines will make a racket.

I fucking hate cats.

Draft saved Draft deleted