1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That delicate balance between communal interests and free expression

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When liberal institutions -- our nation's best colleges -- seek to become the thought police:

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This problem starts much earlier than colleges. As a consequence of Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier, primary schools claim tremendous authority to control or censor speech at the middle and high school levels. We've had an entire generation of children move through the system who are more likely than not to seek approval from an authority figure of their messages before speaking. And those that do challenge the system are often not successful. By the time they reach college, I worry, they're already lost.

I teach an undergraduate First Amendment course and I am amazed at how commonly my students hold the perception - at least at the beginning of the course - that offensive speech can and should be regulated. I usually start them off with some video of hateful speech from the Westboro Baptists to gauge attitudes about whether or not that kind of speech can or should be controlled. It always amazes me how quickly they jump in favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted