1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That crappy ARod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Even the greatest players go 1 for 22 during a season.... against much inferior pitching than you face in the playoffs.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

John Lackey might be a bit much. Ervin Santana could be more likely, given that they tried to package him with others to land Tejada at the trade deadline. And they definitely have prospects to spare.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So is there ANYONE on here who'll defend A-Rod?

Didn't think so.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Aside from Columbo? No.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What do you mean by defend? I'll say that if they decide to trade him, he will have far more value than is being discussed here. Wherever he goes, he's likely to return to all-time great status & is in his prime. To say that John Lackey is too much is laughable.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

When I made the comment, I made it with the thought that no one would trade what could be a legit ace. According to ESPN at the trade deadline, the Angels offered up Ervin Santana, Kendry Morales and another prospect for Soriano, which is why I thought A-Rod would fetch a similar bounty. (Granted, A-Rod wouldn't be a two-month rental, so maybe someone like Brandon Wood enters the discussion here.)

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wasn't a shot, alot of people are talking that way, but Cashman is nuts if he even thinks about a Cecilio Guante, Jeff Hornacek & Blake Stein kind of deal. They can afford his salary, and even if everyone knew that they won't bring him back (I don't think that's the case), there are still enough teams to get 80-90 cents on the dollar.

Also at the deadline I heard Ramirez & Zambrano from the Cubs, I think that's where you start.

& BTW, Lackey is no ace, not even on his team.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lackey is no ace, but he'd make a damn good No. 2 for, say, the Rangers or Cards.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's 31 and has a career .305 .386 .573 and averages 40+HRs & 120+RBI.

His problem is expectations, not because of the contract, but the PR campaign he employed to justify getting the offer.

Jeter lost my ineligible MVP vote, when he revelled in 5th degree schandefreude at his teammate's expense.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A-Rod's money would be nuts even if he COULD get it up, in October.

And the way it is . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But they're five-alarm flaming assholes of the highest order.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd take Lackey over Millwood.

Draft saved Draft deleted