1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That crappy ARod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Winfield doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

2. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

A Rod the bus is waiting - please join Dave Winfield , Kenny Rogers, Ed Whitson, Chuck Knobloch, Javier Vasquez, Steve Sax, Bobby Bonds and host of others who could not make it in the Bronx either. There is no shame in it . It happens .

Are you kidding me with Knoblauch? The guy developed the yips but he was also the leadoff man for three World Series championship teams. He had no problem making it in the Bronx.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

A look at Winfield's stats with the Yankees shows he doesn't belong on the list. Guy beat me to it. Boom, you have been a Yankees fan for a while so you should know better.

4. standman

standman Member

When it comes to Winfield, it's not the stats in terms of numbers. It the stats in terms of expectations and championships.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can anyone guess this stat line - player and event

22 AB 1 Hit 0 RBI's .045 batting average

I just don't see now how it will be possible for A-rod to make it in the Bronx now that he has batted 8th.

The NY media will keep picking at it till he blows.

funny no one ever asked Lois Sojo or Shane Spencer or Ricki Leedee or Joe Girardi if they minded batting 8th. I guess expectations were lower.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Yes, Boom, I know Winfield had one hit in the 1981 World Series. He also walked five times during that series, so the Dodgers weren't going to let Winfield beat them. If you look at the rest of the postseason record, you will see that In the other four post-season series he was involved in, his team won. If you look at the record, you will see that in six of seven seasons after 1981 (a strike year) he had over 100 RBI and in the other season, he had 97 RBI.

When the Yankees signed Winfield, they still had Reggie Jackson and didn't re-sign him, something Steinbrenner himself has called his biggest mistake. If the Yankees don't blow a 2-0 lead in the 1981 World Series, maybe they don't make some of the moves they made. But Winfield, while not perfect, did his part on the field. And at the end of his career, Toronto wanted him for success in the postseason.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A- Rod is Dave Winfield - great stats but choke in big moments.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Boom: There were few "big moments" from 1982 to 1988. The only seasons the Yankees had any real chance was in 1983 and 1985.

According to retrosheet, in 1983 Winfield hit 15 home runs after August 1 and batted over .300 in both months. For the entire year, he hit .320 with men on base and .292 in scoring position.

In 1985, he hit .229 in August but drove in 26 runs in 27 games during August. In September 1985, he hit 295 and had 22 RBI. During the year, he hit .317 with runners in scoring position and .281 with runners on base.

Winfield put up all of these numbers while facing a total situation which was totally insane with constant managerial changes and harrassment from Steinbrenner.

I don't remember people writing about Winfield being someone who didn't hit in the clutch. People wrote that the problem was the pitching, and that was the case.

9. standman

standman Member

I'm with you Boom. I think the analogy fits with Winfield's career with the Yankees. Not in his other stops.

10. Odds on where A-Rod will be traded. If A-Rod is with the Yankees on opening day - then bets are off

Los Angeles Angels 3/1
    St. Louis Cardinals 9/2
    Boston Red Sox 5/1
    Chicago White Sox 7/1
    Atlanta Braves 7/1
    Chicago Cubs 8/1
    Philadelphia Phillies 9/1
    Los Angeles Dodgers 9/1
    Seattle Mariners 11/1

Field (other MLB not named above and not including the Yankees) 7/2

Odds via Bodog.com

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

No way the Yankees trade him to the Red Sox in a direct trade.

The Angels might make sense because they need offense and could offer John Lackey, a left-handed pitcher who can pitch a lot of innings and maybe throw in a middle reliever who could help out.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

They have NONE of the Yankee cretin entitlement.

Draft saved Draft deleted