1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That (bleeping) dress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 26, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Awesome.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe there is some value to this discussion after all:

A scientific tale of two dresses - CNN.com

Dr. Emily Chew, an ophthalmologist at the National Institutes of Health, said in more than thirty years of research she's never seen an image where people, all with normal vision, have had such dramatically different responses.
    "It would be interesting to use this image to learn more about the pathways of how we understand color," said Chew, the deputy director of the division of epidemiology and clinical applications at the National Eye Institute.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Since this is being distributed online, I think the quality of the computer/phone monitor could have a lot to do with it as well as the angle of view and the ambient lighting.

Take this page. (Please.) When I look at the screen head-on, the page buttons are pink, the background is white and my lovely avatar is yellow. When I pull my screen down, the buttons turn cyan, the background becomes purplish and my avatar becomes gray.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't see anything but white and gold. I showed it to my 5-year-old.

"Blue and black," he said, matter of factly. Two-year-old: "Bluuuuuue and poow-pul."

Wife said white and gold. Then she looked at it again last night and saw blue and black.

She's convinced I was fucking with her. She thought it was a different photo, and didn't believe I saw white and gold.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

When I asked my 5-year-old, he said he didn't know what color it was, then asked "Where were you looking at it?" Kid's deep.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

xkcd nails the explanation:

[​IMG]

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this"

[​IMG]

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep. Optical illusion with how your mind processes colors and backgrounds.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Are the anchors' suits a different color when you watch it on DVR vs. when you watch it live?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

92-year-old grandmother said blue and black. I told her I saw white and gold. She shouted, "You're wrong." It's not hereditary. My mom saw white and gold, too.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Two-year-old saw white the first time and then changed his mind to blue and black. The video was pretty cute.

Draft saved Draft deleted