1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That awkward feeling when...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Oct 11, 2012.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

By now, a number of you have read the thread titled Ask not when the bell tolls. For those of you who hadn't, it was a thread I created when I was shit-canned from my last shop, a small weekly newspaper based in the Washington, D.C. suburbs.

In that thread, I mentioned some of the things that happened, from the initial shock and self-doubt that comes when you get fired to an employer contesting unemployment benefits and then finding out I was denied. I mentioned applying for and getting food stamps. I mentioned enlisting the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau and successfully appealing the denial of benefits. In later threads, I mentioned that I now work for a much better company, even though I've left journalism behind.

I just found out today that the publisher who was behind the paper's contesting my benefits died. He was 95.

I say "awkward feeling" because I know it's unbecoming to be happy that someone has died, but I think he was a special case.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Odd post for someone who was just worried about his dad's health.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

+1

4. imjustagirl

And before it gets said, yes, I thoroughly reveled in Art Modell's death. Still am doing so, actually. Every day is brighter.

It just seemed like odd timing, is all. I'm sure this guy had family.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

+1

6. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Odd post to use for 50,000 :D

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1) That's one of the reasons I said it was awkward. I'm not sure what to feel.

2) Someone who revels in the death of an NFL owner has a lot of nerve questioning someone when he mentions the death of someone who did personal harm to him.

8. imjustagirl

And I pointed that out. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying it's odd, considering where you've been mentally.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I don't revel in anyone's death. And I think it was poor timing, to say the least. Bad karma, too.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

What are you hoping to gain from starting this thread, F_T?

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Stipulated on reveling. I can't claim I've never thought, "The world is one shmuck lighter'" though, so I can't hold it against f_t.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why F_T gets so much shit for starting threads lately, I dunno. What he expressed is something we'd surely all think about regarding the death of someone who was trying to screw us 10 ways from Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted