1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

KY, agreed, it's a two-week clusterf..k. And we don't even get a true state champ.

KP, Feehan is good, and that Schwieger kid knows how to run past a good defense.

I'm not totally surprised Brockton lost, they looked really shaky on Thanksgiving.

Just read that the EMass Superbowls are on TV, the first three on Comcast Sports Net, the last three on Channel 38.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's cool that all of them are on TV. Only the 5A finals are on TV in Texas, though they are nationally broadcast on FoxSports so that's cool.

We still have six teams left heading in the quarterfinals and regional rounds. A few too many for my tastes, but I have a feeling we will be down to three at the most after this weekend.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I hated covering high school games on Thanksgiving. I didn't want to be there, I don't think most of the parents/fans wanted to be there, and going back to the office and taking games over the phone from stringers who didn't want to be there sucked, too.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What are the ticket prices for the championship games in your state? I'm especially interested in the states where the games are played in NFL venues.
    Saturday at Gillette Stadium it's $13 for adults and $10 for students. Robert Kraft is donating the stadium rent free. I've already read comments from one person who called it gouging, but I'd like to know how the association arrived at those numbers before saying anything like that.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's also a ticket getting you into six games. Last time they were hosted by the Patriots, I think tickets were $10 for adults and $7 for students for the entire day. It's not reasonable for the Krafts to clear out the stadium between games, so I think the price is legit.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can't say for sure, because I honestly have never paid attention, but does anyone know if tickets for the playoff games played in Texas Stadium or Jones Stadium or the Alamo Dome cost more than if they are played at random sites?
    In Texas they start using the giant stadiums in the first round of the playoffs, rather than waiting for the championships.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The parking is free, too, but I don't see too many people making it through 12-plus hours of high school football on a day when the high temperatures are going to be in the low 30s. My guess is most people will be there for a game, maybe two or three at most.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There are some diehards that will be there all day.

Of course, now that you can just DVR all the games on CSN and 38, it might reduce the attendance a tad.

9. KP

KP Active Member

They paid $10 yesterday to watch games at shit venues like Greater New Bedford and Acton-Boxborough, an extra $3 won't kill them. Kraft is giving the MIAA use of the stadium for $0. Parking will cost $0, which is $5 less than what it cost me over at Stonehill last night. Some people just choose to attempt to perfect the art of bitching.
    Also, for those who think it's too much money, sit home and watch it on tv.

Wicked, I saw both during the regular season. Feehan at Stang (the Schweiger kid is a tough little runner) and Mansfield at Franklin and I thought Mansfield was probably two TDs better. I think Mansfield won by 20-22 early in the regular season.

As for Brockton, it's more the way in which they lost. Apparently Todman's prescence alone was enough to create problems as they threw the ball all over the place.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Does New Hyde Park still play Islip or somebody on Thanksgiving Day? My grandfather had cable back in the 1960s and for some reason we'd always get that game on TV that morning and watch it on his TV.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I saw Mansfield the first or second week of the season and thought they looked good ... but it was the first or second week of the season. Schwieger ran past an OK Somerset defense a few weeks back, and I had a feeling then that they weren't going to be stopped. (I know, hindsight is 20/20, etc.)

Brockton putting up nearly 100 yards in penalties on Thanksgiving showed that they're pretty undisciplined. Wasn't surprised to see them take the gas pipe.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Gotta wonder if Colombo's kid getting arrested at the T-Day game against Waltham created some issues as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted