1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Here's a video of that amazing finish in the MN state finals.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S266664.shtml?cat=7

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Some of my greatest childhood memories were around this time of year, when Texas high schools were in the playoffs. They'd do tripleheaders at the Astrodome and my dad would announce all three. I'd spend a bajillion hours roaming the inner recesses of the Astrodome. Great fun.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that sounds awesome.

i spent a bajillion hours roaming the inner recesses of the kingdome as a cub reporter and still have an inflated memory of the place.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll readily admit...the Astrodome was kind of a dump. The carpeting was bad, the lighting was bad, the turf was bad, the press box was bad. But it was still the Dome, and there were few 12-year-olds who had a press pass that allowed them to try and find a way into Judge Hoffeinz's old apartment in the stadium.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny that your dome was a coupla regions away from mine, but still the same feeling ... "But it was still the Dome."

i couldn't have said it better myself.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Massachusetts playoffs kicked off tonight. Some interesting results, including Everett spanking BC High.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of the teams I cover won, 23-20 on a 36-yard field goal at the end of regulation. The same kid had a PAT that would have won the game go wide left with a minute remaining. An interception gave the team the ball back with about 30 seconds left. (I don't have my notes with me).
    I'm going to Gillette on Saturday. I'm told only 2 hours are allotted per game. Teams warm up in the bubble. Awards and interviews are on the concourse.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good. get in, get out, nobody gets hurt.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As long as nobody goes to overtime or there are no lengthy injury delays.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no sports person i know ever wanted either one of those two to happen.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Not as surprising as Brockton getting rolled by Dartmouth and Bishop Feehan getting past Mansfield.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Shit, ya'lls state playoffs systems are too strange for my tastes.

We're in the semifinals now and we've got one team left. It's just too bad they're being served up to one of the River City powerhouses in St. Xavier.

Oh, and thanks to the KHSAA for overreacting about a private/public split, we now have 6 classes for football. And almost every team gets in. There are some 3- and 4-team districts, which means an 0-10 team gets in. One of our teams hasn't won a game since the opening game of 2005, yet they qualified for the playoffs this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted