1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

PIAA has plenty of detractors, some rightfully so. It's a lot bigger organization, so it's a lot easier to screw things up, but for the most part I never had an issue. Sites run professionally, availability to file stories from said sites, etc.

MIAA, forget about it. Covered a state soccer final last weekend where there was no phone line or Internet service in the press box. I had to drive around the nearest residential neighborhood, about a mile away, to get into someone else's service. Covered a state soccer semifinal almost two weeks ago where the press box literally was a day-care center. A parent from the host site who was working the game brought her kids and her kids' friends into the press box. I couldn't get any work done. Kids were running around, screaming, the mom was yelling at the kids, and this was going on all in front of an MIAA official, who did nothing. Another guy was up there trying to write, and he bailed from the box, too. I wasn't working right on deadline (it was a 5 p.m. game, so I had time to go back home and file, even though it was cutting it close), but those working the later game that night, provided the kids weren't sent home, were screwed trying to work on deadline. I don't mind if someone brings their son or daughter to the press box, as long as they don't get in my way. In Pennsylvania, that scene NEVER would have happened.

2. KP

KP Active Member

MIAA is so cheap they took games out of Brockton for a year after the city had the audacity to bill them for plowing the field when a foot fell the day before the Superbowls (yes, technically one word).

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They've actually been playing 10-minute quarters in the playoffs and Superbowls for the last two years for "safety concerns."
    I liked it when the Superbowls were at home fields a decade ago because you weren't rushed off the field for the next game. It's hard enough trying to track down kids, pull them away from family, friends, group pictures their parents want to take, etc. without some MIAA official chasing you off the field because the next two teams need to warm up. I imagine the whole "get in, get out" routine will be even worse next Saturday.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Watching the PA District 7 championships (Western PA) today. Right now is the AA game which features the number 1 recruit in the nation, Terrelle Pryor. He's 6'6 220 and I'm thoroughly impressed. He glides when he runs and makes everyone trying to tackle him look silly. He plays safety on defense and hits hard. Whatever college he decides to go to will be lucky.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Watching second-roud playoff action in Texas and it is 40 degrees outside. That wouldn't be a big deal, but they refuse to turn on the heater in the press box and it is about 45 degrees in here. Fuck its cold. I have a doubleheader, but I think I am going to go home in between games and get gloves and long johns. Why won't they turn on the heater?

6. It's because the NJSIAA is run by ancient, clubby, arrogant, backwards-thinking morons. It's really funny that they call them "state champions" when they are really regional champions -- in a state about 1/40th as big as Texas. It's a goddamn embarrassment, but, well, Jersey isn't a state where people like changing the way things are done.

Pennsylvania has figured out a way to fold the Philadelphia Public and Catholic Leagues into the organization and somehow still crown four state champions in football. You'd think New Jersey would be paying attention, but no. They're too busy getting rub-and-a-tugs.

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Game 4 of the Friday quadrupleheader at Ford Field has been fun thus far. You've got Detroit Country Day, a private-school basketball powerhouse, against Marine City, a public school that has made the playoffs 16 times since 1990 but had never made it to the final.

DCD is better known for hoops (Chris Webber and Shane Battier), but they've won a couple football titles. They dominated early today, but Marine City has put together a drive and has 3rd-and-goal from the 1 ... and just scored on a quarterback sneak.

7-0 Mariners. Looks like Marine City has gotten past the "OHMIGOD WE'RE PLAYING AT FORD FIELD!" stage.

Tomorrow's Division 5 game has my favorite school - Menominee and its unstoppable single-wing offense. They won 41-6 last year, and I'd guess that 75% of the stadium never had any idea which back had the ball. At least when you cover a Wing-T team, you know the quarterback started with the ball - in the single wing, it could be anywhere.

8. KP

KP Active Member

It's not that hard to grab people in between a doubleheader, just can't waste any time.
    I would think Saturday postgame stuff will be a lot like basketball at the Garden or DCU.

Wicked, 8:15 would be nightmarish for us.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Good lord, I can't believe how many championshps some states have.

New York has seven or eight. Upstate has five classes for public and private schools that are based on enrollment. For some odd reason, Long Island has its own, and I think NYC has a seperate championship for public and private schools.

Basketball has only five. There are public school champions, but then their is a Federation Tournament to determine one true champion in each class. The city (public and private) and Long Island schools all compete.

I feel bad for states that really don't have basketball. Honestly, only a handful of teams get screwed over for multi-sport athletes, and they're all football players. Some schools have already began playing, but football season doesn't end until Sunday.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did we miss the Milk Bowl or whatever the hell it is in IDaho?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, that was a coupla weeks ago.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So who won Idaho's pool?

Draft saved Draft deleted