1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The game I'm going to today will be a little unusual. The first two quarters will be 11 minutes and the last two will be nine minutes.
    The regional playoffs are Tuesday and the state association rules stipulate that any team that could be playing on Tuesday can only play 10-minute quarters today.
    A waiver was granted for this game and another game in the league because there is a three-way tie for first and the teams involved in the tie are 1-1 against the other two teams. The tiebreaker is first-half point differential in league games. The league plays 11-minute quarters in its games and to make sure the teams involved in the tie have the same opportunity to score as many first-half points as possible that the did all season, they're keeping the first half at 22 minutes, but the game will still be a 40-minute game.
    I'm headed out the door shortly for the game.
    Anybody like to tell us about the game you're covering?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, the team I'm covering today has a blue star on the side of its helmet.

(Well, not me really, but one of my writers is.)

I remember when the great G.A. Moore was still coaching and you could guarantee if his team was in the playoffs, he would play on Thanksgiving.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Smallspuds, covering a Thanksgiving Day game is one of the things I miss most about my former job at the Herald. If I had my druthers, they'd dump those pointless EMass playoffs and just end the season today.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell, I'm still trying to understand the rules...

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I thought this was a thread for our Jets and Falcons fans.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

As Football Bat mentioned, it's playoff time in Texas (second round this weekend; 144 games statewide). Texas Stadium will host a tripleheader on Friday and a quadrupleheader on Saturday.

The team I'm covering won a coin flip for the right to host its game Saturday. In exchange for not traveling, I get a weather forecast calling for a high of 35 and a 40-percent chance of rain and/or snow. I'll be sitting in the pressbox for that one.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Now, here's a tradition that's been going on for 88 years in New Jersey. And it ends today. Pretty amazing. First game was in 1919 and they've never cancelled it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/nyregion/22union.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

But today’s so-called Turkey Game signals the end of the tradition. Next fall, the two schools will merge in a new $176 million building. At the final game, both principals expect to sit together at halftime to present a united front, and the players on both teams will be required to wear T-shirts bearing the new school’s name — Union City High School — under their shoulder pads.

The new solidarity is a long step from the simmering hatred that once transcended the football field and divided the city into uptown and downtown. Historically, families who lived north of the Route 495 overpass would go uptown to Union Hill, while those who lived to the south would go downtown to Emerson, though that boundary was shifted in later years to keep the school enrollments roughly equal.

I wonder if our resident NJ SportsJournalists.comer is covering this.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not quite our circ area, JR, but we have a few that have been going for nearly as long.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

State Finals are this weekend.......Smith Center finally gave up a score last week. It was actually a competitive game, 6-6 midway through the second quarter....they got the message...run off 38 straight....roll 44-6.

The only 6 points they've given up all year, and they have punted twice all season.

10. Football_Bat

Southlake Carroll would take 'em. :)

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

How about if Carroll is limited to suiting up the same number of players Smith Center has? I doubt many of the Dragons have had to play both ways for an entire game.

12. Football_Bat

Somebody missed the smiley face... and the sarcasm button!

Draft saved Draft deleted