1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving fun with the family

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Nov 24, 2011.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Some of my most memorable Thanksgiving memories:

Having my older brother get arrested not once, but twice, in two different years, while we were sitting around the table eating our meal.

My sister-in-law showing up unannounced one year with her new boyfriend in tow (also completely unannounced), and then informs everyone that she is preggers with boyfriend's baby. Oh, and the boyfriend is an illegal immigrant.

Mother-in-law actually bringing my kids CHRISTMAS presents to open to my stepmother's house during Thanksgiving dinner. And yes, my MIL lives in the same city as us and we see her very regularly.

Brother-in-law dropping his two-month old baby off last year and splitting with his wife to "run errands." They show back up six hours later like it was no big deal.

Please make me feel better by sharing some of your more colorful Thanksgiving moments

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

BT,

Check this thread out -- it's the white meat of Thanksgiving memories.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/87171/

3. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Thanks TV.

Hadn't looked at that one yet.

4. lono

lono Active Member

One of my first news stories:

Man visits house of estranged wife's parents on Thanksgiving.

Invites her back to his place to show her Christmas presents he got their two kids.

When they get back, he pulls a handgun and murders her.

Goes back to the in-laws house, gets in fight with ex-sister-in-law's boyfriend, who is a prison guard.

While the two of them wrestle on front porch, dad comes out with gun of his own and shoots them both dead, one deliberately, the other accidentally.

Dad then has heart attack and dies on the spot.

I spent Black Friday interviewing the family matriarch, who had lost husband, daughter and other daughter's boyfriend on Thanksgiving.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got nothing after that.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But your lead story was still the sales at the mall, right?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Since we live 1,700 miles from my wife's family, we don't have to deal with the drama of why one sister feels left out on everything even if she won't leave her house. I don't think she's been out of state since my wife and I got married 10 years ago, even though her husband's family lives in the next state over. That and there is always some problem with one of my sister-in-laws' ex's during the holidays.

My side of the family is OK now, even after my parents divorced in the mid 90s. They're both remarried and have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner with my siblings. The issue with my side of the family are the friends of the family who occasionally are part of Thanksgiving weekend or Christmas parities, and can't handle their liquor.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happy holidays.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Neither did I.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Skybox tease:
    Tips for Thanksgiving leftovers
    Living, 1D

Tip 1: Take them to the morgue.