1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving final course: Punk beats up his sister's girlfriend

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 27, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It doesn't say whether this was motivated because the two were gay. It says he didn't like their relationship - which may mean, he just didn't like this girl because she wasn't good for his sister.

So I'd be careful jumping to "hate crime" conclusions.

That being said, this little motherfucker should be killed.

Fuck him - put him in the electric chair and let him burn slowly.

I'm so tired of these cowardly assholes.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not based on sexual orientation in Alabama. Not on the books.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised?

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's still the case in a lot of states, unfortunately.

It's wiki, so god knows if it's one hundred percent reliable, but here's a map showing the states that include sexual orientation in hate crime legislation and those that do not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_LGBT-related_hate_crime_law_in_the_United_States.svg

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Example that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree:

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Father-Charged-with-Shooting-Son/GNWMXnqCu0We7m8TS8u2fA.cspx

Yes, that would be Travis Hawkins Sr. firing one into the chest of Travis Hawkins Jr.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If your name is Travis, you're probably fucked.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

If you're going to be murdered in America, there's a one-in-four chance that it'll be by a family member.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Further developments have the victim and her girlfriend saying the beating was not a hate crime, that the brother did have his reasons but weren't hate related. They also wouldn't reveal them, only saying they would come out at the apporpriate time.

*Again warning if you're squeamish, don't click*

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/nov/27/mallory-owens-my-beating-was-not-hate-crime-ar-5059330/

My guess, the brother is gay and very in the closet about it. Sister and girlfriend were prodding him and threatening to out him. Being Mobile, Ala. I'm guessing that isn't the most advantageous thing to have happen to an 18-year-old man there. So he flips out, overreacts and should be headed to jail.

But that's my guess, trying to read between the lines.

As per the original story, the threats to "finish the job" should carry more than just an aggrevated assault charge. If it doesn't get the charge upgraded to attempted murder, it should also have an uttering death threats charge tacked on.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The feds can step in under the Matthew Shepard Act.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'll heed that warning and not click. Thanks.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, the young man administered what looked like a well-thought-out beating, definitely one done by a person who is capable of killing another human.

Draft saved Draft deleted