1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving Dinner: A Bachelor's Contribution

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Nov 21, 2006.

1. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Dude, just watch the food channel and then go online and use their recipes, that's what I do. Then pass it off as your own and people think you are amazing. Works great for dates too, but it looks like you got that part covered

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

No. Another SportsJournalists.com regular was sitting next to me and she can vouch that while I posted here from time to time, there was no solitaire being played. Plus, I'm more of a freecell guy.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nope, I have heard of rhubarb - which makes excellent pie and jam - but never rutabega. Thanks for the info, it sounds kind of good.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Probably you should pick up a 12-pack of your favorite beer and steadily drink when the first NFL game starts until you pass out. In fact, a 12-pack probably won't do it for you, might want to step up to a half-rack.
    P.S. Just be glad your in-laws aren't in town for 8 days. Thank god my SE is sending me to a double-header of playoff football games out of town!

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'll be working in the office, so the beer will have to wait.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In theory.
    Plenty of the old-timers at the shops I've worked at have never let "working" come in the way of drinking. Just a thought.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

mmm rutabega... only two people who will eat it at my house tomorrow will be myself and my mom... sucks to be everyone else.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pass some to me. I'll be working and far away from my family as well. With any luck, Cracker Barrel will have a passable buffet.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Slappy, if it's pudding you're after you can get a pretty good one at Williams-Sonoma.

Mmmmm.....flaming Christmas Pudding with whipped cream.

10. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Chuck Taylor, you're my hero. Nary a day goes by that I don't eat cereal. Though I'm more of a Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Cap'n Crunch guy. Great post, Chuck.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

For you good folks doing it yourself tomorrow, here are Au Gratin Potatoes to die for.

6 potatoes, peeled and sliced
    1 cup milk
    4 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/2 cup chopped onions, frozen or fresh
    1 2-cup bag of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 2-cup bag of another shredded cheese (pepper jack? mozzarella? more cheddar? Your pick)
    1 teaspoon of nutmeg (secret ingredient!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large casserole, take 2 tablespoons of the butter and cover the surface well, bottom AND sides. Place one layer of potatoes at the bottom to cover. Spread the sharp cheddar, onions and nutmeg over the potatoes. Place second layer of potatoes on top of that. If you have more potato slices left over, spread half of the "other" cheese. If you're finished with the potato slices, spread all of it over the second layer. Place another layer if you have it, and the rest of the cheese. Drizzle the milk down through the potatoes, covering as much as possible. Bake in middle of oven for 35-40 minutes.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll give you that 'amen' you're looking for, though I'm more of a Cinnamon Toast Crunch man, myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted