1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving Day high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 23, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanksgiving Day was one of the few days of the year I wished I'd played HS football. There was something incredibly emotional about those games...probably the fact it was the last game ever for 99 pct of the seniors on the field.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I stand corrected. Used to be big Thanksgiving Day rivalries in parts of the state, including McCaskey-Lancaster Catholic, so some players told me a few years back. Figured PIAA playoffs and district points probably did games like that in.

Easton probably doesn't care too much about a PIAA title is because it's basically a Jersey town and the PIAA playoffs pale in tradition compared to that 100-year-old rivalry.

And BYH, I always felt the same way on Thanksgiving. Walk the sidelines covering a game that day (if it's warm enough outside), and you can taste the intensity.

3. SlotDaddy

SlotDaddy New Member

Not only does Easton have to play again Saturday in a PIAA Sub-regional (District 11 Class 4A final against Bethlehem Liberty), they also just beat Parkland (State's No. 1 and undefeated this season before losing to Easton last weekend). Three BIG games in eight days! :eek:

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm stuck at home tonight, but these WPIAL finals are great. Upper St. Clair up 7-6 on Penn Hills late in first half of AAAA final. I only wish my cable company had Fox Sports Pittsburgh's HD signal.

That's what bothers me about Easton's outlook on it, wicked. The PIAA playoffs never WILL be what they could be as long as schools like Easton and most of the WPIAL look upon Hershey as being anticlimatic.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I think the WPIAL schools would view it as more of a climax if the finals were held at, say, Mansion Park.

I tried to watch some of the Class A game earlier but just couldn't get into it.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Screw Mansion Park. Just like I say screw the Bryce Jordan Center. ;)

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm sure fans will be thrilled next year when they can't get hotel rooms within 30 miles of University Park come finals weekend.

9. KP

KP Active Member

That was incorrect. Game was at 10 (42-0 Lowell). They redid Cawley, FieldTurf and all, the press box was warm (especially the upper level).

EDIT - At least it was warm when I was there the previous couple weeks for soccer games on some cold days.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No Thanksgiving Day games here. The stadium is in use by a JV NFL team. :D

State championship games were today and Saturday. Four each day.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Same here. Two undefeated state champs from the area were crowned.. and it was the first state title for both schools.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I loved covering Thanksgiving hs football in Massachusetts years ago because it was the last day of the regular season. So not only were the games all rivalries (some of them, like Boston Latin-Boston English, going back over a century), but many of the games had league championships and playoff berths at stake.

Unfortunately, that tradition has never really gotten off where I'm currently at. There's only about four such rivalries in my area, because the vast majority of the towns here, simply put, are posh suburbs that can't be bothered with high-level football, let alone playing it on Thanksgiving.

Draft saved Draft deleted