1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving Day high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's a big deal in some places and doesn't exist in others.
    Would anyone like to talk about the game they're covering today or a game they're attending?
    Any memories from past games you've covered on the holiday?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Who won the Easton-Pburg game?

I understand how huge this game is to their community, but it still bothers me that the PIAA allows Easton to play this game two days before a state playoff game. Almost annually.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Easton 21-7... apparently it was on ESPN2.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm not sure if it was some sort of anniversary or something, but both teams were wearing ultra-throwback uniforms, like from the 1920's or something. It looked pretty cool.

5. stevenash

stevenash Member

i liked p-burgs uniform, it had white and purple stripes, i don't think they had #'s

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

100th game in the series. Easton now leads 55-45-5.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Wow, now that must've been hell for a reporter to cover if the one team didn't have numbers.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm not good at math, but isn't that 105 games.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The two teams I cover are rivals in everything, including football, but this year, they're not in the same division anymore. One dropped down because it wasn't competing well in the state's top division.

For my preview story, the coach of the team that stayed up went off about how he and his guys lost respect for the other team, said they ran out the division, etc.

I made sure that quote was very near the top of the story.

The team that dropped apparently photocopied that quote, blew it up, passed it around the school etc., and then went out today and rolled the D-I school.

Not a good game, but it makes for a good storyline.

Bulletin board material ... when will teams ever learn?

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I was at the oldest football rivalry in the country, high school or college.

40 degrees, driving rain, 30 mph winds.

Only once in my journalistic career (10+ years) had I covered a game from the press box. Today was No. 2.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I miss Thanksgiving Day high school football.

For my Massachusetts friends: I saw on boston.com's schedule at Lowell and Haverhill played at 7 tonight? Is that right? I can only imagine how frigid that Cawley Stadium pressbox was.

Covered a number of those traditional rivalries over the years, and it's not the same without it.

Shot, I thought the PIAA did away with all Thanksgiving games when the state playoffs became a reality?

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No. There would have been rebellion of mass proportions if they had tried it.

In fact, if memory serves, the PIAA tried to force Easton into choosing between the P-burg game or a state semifinal a few years ago and failed miserably. Might have been denied in court. And I DO know Easton has long said if they were forced to make that choice, the Turkey Day game would win hands down.

That, I don't understand, but...

Draft saved Draft deleted