1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks to all who participated in my study!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave_Wasson, May 14, 2007.

1. Dave_Wasson

Dave_Wasson New Member

Hey all. Wanted to thank all of you who participated in my study on the lack of African-American sports writers. I ended up getting a B on the project (boo, teacher) and am going to turn it around for submission to CJR/AJR.

The backstory ... the project was for a handful of credits at the University of Alabama. Believe it or not, I finally finished my bachelor's degree and graduated Saturday. I went back to school to finish the second half of my degree four years ago -- after getting the first half at various community colleges in Florida. Chipped away a little bit at a time, not testing out of anything, getting the full college experience. My professional colleagues have been INCREDIBLY supportive, with one mentor even traveling to watch me walk the proverbial aisle. :)

So thank you again, all, for contributing. I appreciate it!

David Wasson

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So when Urbane Meyer plays Nick Satan, which color body paint will you wear?

3. May I take this opportunity to laud Mr. Wasson, who has shown fine resolve in attaining his sheepskin. My hat is removed and pointing eastward today, my friend.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Congrats on degree, Dave, though the subject matter of the topic is bullshit.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Congrats on the degree, sir, although you've obviously taken longer to finish your task than either one of these guys have.

[​IMG]

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Freshman year was the best three years of my life!

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

"Still doin' drugs, Danny?"

"Everyday."

"Gooooooooood."

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

as another sports editor who's had to fight his way to the top without a sheepskin, I bow to you.

9. Dave_Wasson

Dave_Wasson New Member

I will be awash in neutral tones -- as usual, and unlike some of the beat hacks around here recently. :)

MGoBlue, my study actually confirmed my thought going in ... which was that Af-Ams don't go to school to be journalists, thus creating the deficiency. I always thought it was rather more than a little b.s. when my bosses would push extra-hard to hire a minority when it seemed like almost none exist.

I'll never tell, thank you!

dw

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Congrats on getting the degree. I finished my degree in 2002 going PT while working at a daily paper FT after an eight-year layoff and damn glad I did.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wasson, you beautiful bastard. now i'll buy you a pitcher of your choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted