1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks Mizzou...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

How to spot a true Mizzou fan? Look for people who care more about KU losses than Mizzou victories. Easy tell.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Nope. I just delight in twisting the sword when I can. As you no doubt will when Pinkel chokes against KU next week.

But I don't stop being a fan when it's not convienient. That would just be too St. Louis of me.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

I'll agree with Oz on that one. For many years in Kansas City, only ku basketball games were on TV so you had to root against the Jayhawks. Being in Columbia, I miss the Jayhawk games on TV because 1. It's good basketball and 2 I miss rooting against them every week.

The Texas Tech win was a FLUKE. How many times in CFB history have two consecutive plays gone for defensive touchdowns(Minus the kickoff and extra point)?

Oklahoma they choked, Nebraska I don't think they had a shot...I still think they lose today or next weekend against Kansas.

Oz...It is hard to get up for those wins over NC A&T, Army, Stetson and Lipscomb.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So now you've giving me a lecture on how to be a fan, doubledown? Wow.

Look, for years assisted on Kansas coverage. When you do that, you grow accustomed to not being a fan, you look at things as a journalist. You don't root like others might, you're detached from that. So excuse me if I'm not the rabid fan that others might be, that I'm not pissed about a loss more than 24 hours after it ended. Am I supposed to be pissed about that game for 48 hours? Until the next game? When are real fans supposed to move on from mourning losses? You get over it.

KU started last year 3-4 and people like Almost Famous started threads about how KU would miss the NCAA Tournament. I acted the same way in that thread as I am here -- I stated that there was no need to get worked up about a few abberations, that KU would be a much better team at the end of the season. And they were, as Big 12 regular season co-champions and Big 12 tournament champions. Same here. An Oral Roberts loss doesn't change a thing about how I think the Jayhawks will do overall this season.

But thank you for telling me how to be a fan. I never would have known had it not been for you.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know this didn't annoy Oz, but it cracked me up.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You know what's funny about this, BYH? A fellow Royals fan telling me to don't stop being a fan when it's not convenient.

Yeah, because it's so convenient for me to be a Royals and Pirates fan these days. ::)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someday, Oz, you will be accused of being a frontrunner.

Actually, no. No you won't. :D

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

gary Pinkel is my hero...14-10 Iowa State with 8 mins to go in the 4th and Iowa State ball!!!!

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

21-16 Cyclones. Mr. Pinkel, you've got a call from Shreveport on line 3.

10. doubledown68

I was in the Cell earlier this year with my Royals t-shirt on. That was an experience.

As for everyone wondering why Mizzou fans hate Pinkel.. well, 21-16 Iowa State should explain it. If that doesn't do it, next week's double-digit Kansas win will explain it. And if that doesn't do it, then I can't explain it any better.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Isn't that how it's always worked at Mizzou? Pinkle gets an extension and they lose the next game. At least they didn't do it next week and Pinkle might have a shot at Kansas.

I think it's a pattern.

12. doubledown68

Apparently a self-destructive pattern.

Draft saved Draft deleted