1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks Mizzou...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

...For ruining the first day of my thanksgiving break by giving Gary Pinkel a contract extension through 2011. That's what you get for going 29-30 before this season and beating 1 team in the big 12 that has ever finished over .500 in that season(Nebraska '03).

Mr. Whitlock, please tell me you are ripping Alden a new one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15771723/

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Muck Fizzou. That is all.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Oh Doc, that's cold. That's real cold.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But oh so true. I would laugh, except that KU gave Mark Mangino an extension recently.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but it was just for his pants

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Mizzou has a great chance of going 9-3, and getting a great bowl game...why the hate?

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Oral Roberts called. He said hello.

8. doubledown68

The list is long and sundry, but here's a rundown:

He was barely able to go .500 with the most prolific D-I quarterback -- from a statistical standpoint, at least -- ever.

At the same time Brad Smith was under his wayward tutelage, the Big 12 North was weak as its ever been, yet Missouri never even came remotely close to challenging for the division title

Until this year, you could always pencil in one bullshit conference game as a loss... be it Troy or New Mexico.

Including this year, you can always pencil in any road rivalry game (KU) or a road game against a team of average substance (Nebraska, A&M,) as losses. Not only that, but they're not even close. Either the game plan was fatally flawed, or the team proceeds to piss down its leg in the first quarter until the game is safely out of reach.

He has a horrible record against Kansas. Compeltely, utterly, fucking horrible.

He was about two quarters away from not leaving Shreveport, La., last year with a job. But Brad Smith saved his bacon, and Steve Spurrier had an enormous brain fart.

Mostly, I don't like him because he uses the recent string of mediocre bowls as a crutch. Maybe this works for Larry Smith and previous coaches, because when Nebraska, Colorado and Oklahoma were in their heyday, the Big 8/12 was one tough-ass conference to get a foothold in.

But not anymore. Perhaps I'm being greedy, but there's really no reason for MU not to enjoy this year's success every year. Columbia is equidistant between the two biggest cities in the state. MU is the only D-I program in the state. No other state university has that tactical advantage. If MU starts pulling in the top talent -- which it has started to do -- plus recruit other states, particularly Texas, as well as it has been, then 7 and 8 win seasons should be the norm.

But this year is one of many MU will have under Pinkel. Good enough to beat some shitty teams at home to pad the win total. But nowhere near tough enough to beat a top 25 team on the road, or stomp an inferior rival like it should. Thus, it'll be Independence Bowls and the like until he's gone.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You think any KU fans really care what happens before March? Believe me when I sat that I don't get too worked up about basketball games until March, save for marquee matchups (Florida, BC) or rivalries (Mizzou, K-State).

KU isn't like some other schools, where home nonconference losses to Belmont, Davidson and Sam Houston State would be simply par for the course. Jayhawks have higher expectations than that.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, at the time, winning at Texas Tech was a big deal. Could have won at A and M except for fumbling and yes, Pinkel's stupid play calls. Now, all bets are off, since Chase Daniel is probably still goofy from the hit against Oklahoma, and because the opposition has figured out our defense.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You know, one of the small pleasures of reading these threads are the times I come upon a brilliant, well-placed one-liner. This is one of those times. Bravo, Hoops.

12. doubledown68

Oral said thanks for the victory. He said the cover of SI and the national title aspirations were cute. He said he called Bucknell for tips.

I always find it funny how fans claim to "not care" about shitty losses. I don't buy that horseshit for one second. MU basketball has sucked, but I've never not cared. That's a cop out, and a crappy one at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted